Honored Contributor

@LoriLori  What a shame. I used to own it and would have sent it to you. There were probably only a few cooties on it. Woman LOL 

OK, the main character is having her hair brushed by her maid, or confidante, can't remember. And they were going over the clues, talking, when the main character stops speaking, and suddenly she knew! She knew who the murderer was. And in italics, she said the name!!!!! And omgosh of course! I saw it, too. I creeped out. It had to be her!!! I won't say the name she uttered. And she was right there! Living in the castle! Wouldn't it be funny if I had the wrong book entirely? hahahaha

Honored Contributor

@Judaline, I don't think you have the wrong book.  But who knows.  Not to hijack the thread (sorry, @World Traveler, hope you and the others find this interesting):

It reminds me of Mary McCarthy's autobiography, "Memories of a Catholic Girlhood."  It's a great read.  After each chapter she says, well, I found out this never happened and that didn't happen that way and I think I remember this wrong and maybe such-and-such wasn't quite as...you get the idea.  And that's so true of our memories.  It doesn't make the reader distrust the book; it makes it better, truer.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori  Yes, I wrote that under an assumed name. hahaha It really sounds like something I would write. I think I'll read it (the Catholic Girlhood one) and I have friends who would be interested also-thanks for that! 

Honored Contributor

@Judaline, it's a great book.  I had not heard of her and read it in a class on autobiography.  Loved it!  You probably read "The Group"? 

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori  I just read a synopsis. I don't think that's me. I was going by your short synopsis-but I don't think I'd like this-or that I would have written it!!! Sorry to bore you posters! Just clarifying!

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Judaline, it's a great book.  I had not heard of her and read it in a class on autobiography.  Loved it!  You probably read "The Group"? 

Nope, but I read The Best of Everything and I cannot believe Rona Jaffe died. One of my favorite books. Loved the song. Loved the movie. (not many did!) Ya had to have read the book I guess.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@LoriLori  I just read a synopsis. I don't think that's me. I was going by your short synopsis-but I don't think I'd like this-or that I would have written it!!! Sorry to bore you posters! Just clarifying!

@Judaline, don't know what the synopsis said.  Maybe try it from the library?  She had a very good childhood because when her parents died she was raised by wonderful grandparents.  She's a great storyteller.  It's a really good read.  The class was a long time ago and the two I remember are this book and Confessions of St. Augustine.  Go figure. Okay, I should probably shut up about this now. 

Sorry everybody!

Honored Contributor

Re: Mary Stewart, et al

[ Edited ]

chihuahuamom,  I agree, "The Moonspinners" movie with Hayley Mills, made out of the Mary Stewart novel of the same name, is great fun.  We have it on DVD.  By the way, Hayley Mills fans, one of her best, "The Chalk Garden" with Deborah Kerr and John Mills, is also on DVD. I think it was originally an Enid Bagnold play?  Deborah Kerr is a mysterious governess who comes to a seaside house to help out with "troubled" teen Hayley.  Sudsy, suspenseful and enjoyable. 

Too bad they didn't make films out of other Mary Stewart titles.  All the books are so cinematic, esp. "My Brother Michael",  "Nine Coaches Waiting",  and "This Rough Magic".   The novels set in Greece would have to be among my favorites...

Respected Contributor

All 3 books would be good movies. It's been years since I watched the Moonspinners.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Judaline, I don't think you have the wrong book.  But who knows.  @Not to hijack the thread (sorry, @World Traveler, hope you and the others find this interesting):

It reminds me of Mary McCarthy's autobiography, "Memories of a Catholic Girlhood."  It's a great read.  After each chapter she says, well, I found out this never happened and that didn't happen that way and I think I remember this wrong and maybe such-and-such wasn't quite as...you get the idea.  And that's so true of our memories.  It doesn't make the reader distrust the book; it makes it better, truer.

@LoriLori and @Judaline Not a problem at all. That is how this thread was started. We got off track on the Travel Forum with mention of one of these books and brought it over to the Book Forum instead. Totally understand, and it's not a problem with me. Very interesting back-and-forth between you two about other books since this thread was started. Heart