Trusted Contributor

Re: MARCH 2024 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

[ Edited ]

Have had a lot of back pain,which is not good. But, I did get a lot of reading in,which is good! 

I read THE SPY COAST,by Tess Gerritsen. It was about a group of retired CIA agents who were always looking to solve crimes. It was just OK. Next I readTHE NEW COUPLE IN 5B.by Lisa Unger. About a couple who inherited a apartment in N. Y. City where strange things happen. Thought it was very good. 
Now I'm reading Tana French's letest. THE HUNTER.It's about a previous character she wrote about before. A N. Y. Retired city policeman who moves to Ireland. Just started it but her books have always been interesting to me and well written. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@smoky22 wrote:

@SWEET   Love your new avatar!

@smoky22

Found it somewhere but can't recall where since I've had it on my FB page for a while. LOL

Trusted Contributor

My book club book this month is Drowning by TJ Newman.  It is the story of an airliner that ditches into the Pacific Ocean minutes after taking off from Honolulu.  Twelve people remain on the plane instead of evacuating.  The plane sinks to the bottom of the ocean and the story of their rescue is the plot of the book.  It is a tense book and several women in the book club could not finish it because of the intensity.  I recommend it, but it is not for everyone. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I despised Lessons in Chemistry. 

The reviews were exceptional. I expected so much; I received so little.

It took so long to read; I gratefully donated it.

Respected Contributor

@Epicurean , thanks for the Tana French review.  Looking forward to it!

Respected Contributor

I read The Heiress by Rachel  Hawkins.  When Ruby McTavish dies she is not only North Carolina's richest woman, but also the most notorious, suspected of killing all four of her husbands.  She leaves her entire fortune to her adopted son, which does not sit well with the rest of the  McTavish clan.  This book has the best, well thought out twists, of any book I have read recently.  Very entertaining.    

Regular Contributor

Just finished SOMEONE ELSE'S SHOES

Regular Contributor

Just finished SOMEONE ELSE'S SHOES by JoJo Moyes.  Disappointed,  Too much fluff.  It was our library's book club selection for this month, or I would have stopped reading.  About a woman's Louboutin shoes that are accidentally picked up by another woman and how that action affects both their lives.

Yesterday, I started THE LITTLE LIAR by Mitch Albom.  Eighty seven pages in and it is intriguing.  Takes place during WWII and is narrated by the voice of Truth. It is about 3 Jewish children during the Holocaust and the pain we inflict on one another through deceit and how love can redeem us.

Very good, so far.

Super Contributor

I was disappointed too @mildoo with Someone Else's Shoes. Usually look forward to Moyes books, but that one fell flat for me. 

@mildoo wrote:

Just finished SOMEONE ELSE'S SHOES by JoJo Moyes.  Disappointed,  Too much fluff.  It was our library's book club selection for this month, or I would have stopped reading.  About a woman's Louboutin shoes that are accidentally picked up by another woman and how that action affects both their lives.

Yesterday, I started THE LITTLE LIAR by Mitch Albom.  Eighty seven pages in and it is intriguing.  Takes place during WWII and is narrated by the voice of Truth. It is about 3 Jewish children during the Holocaust and the pain we inflict on one another through deceit and how love can redeem us.

Very good, so far.

Honored Contributor

Fatal, by Michael Palmer.  Several people from different parts of the country are becoming slowly disfigured as in the same appearance as the Elephant Man.  Along with paranoia and just loosing their minds.  What is the common factor to cause these conditions and how is it connected to a small mining town?

This book at points was good enough for me to keep reading but basically I did not enjoy it.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."