Esteemed Contributor

Re: MARCH 2024 READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

@alliswell wrote:

"Hidden Figures" tells the compelling true story about the hidden women who helped to make our air and space program a success.  I learned a lot from this book.  It is a valuable resource for history buffs, &  a story that should have been told a long time ago. 

@alliswell 

I have not read the book, but the movie was quite enjoyable in case you have not seen it yet. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sandy53 wrote:

My book club book this month is Drowning by TJ Newman.  It is the story of an airliner that ditches into the Pacific Ocean minutes after taking off from Honolulu.  Twelve people remain on the plane instead of evacuating.  The plane sinks to the bottom of the ocean and the story of their rescue is the plot of the book.  It is a tense book and several women in the book club could not finish it because of the intensity.  I recommend it, but it is not for everyone. 

@sandy53 

I absolutely could not read this. My biggest fear is drowning, my second fear which is problematic since I love to travel would be crashing into the ocean. This fear get's worse as I get older. My next trip which I will take next year will be International, which means crossing a large body of water. I will need to ask my doctor for some sort of anxiety medication, to make the trip. 

Respected Contributor

Lula Dean's Little Library of Banned Books was a cute read.  It wasn't just light and fluff but historical too.  Comes out in June.  A Goodreads win.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was able to wrap up Visions in Death, #19 by J.D. Robb. I have been pretty busy this month, so It took me longer to read this book then it should have. 

This is a series that is based on a cop (Eve) that solves crimes in the year 2058. The murders that take place are not for everyone, sometimes they can be gruesome. For instance in this book, the killer cuts out the eyelids/eyes of his victims. There is a reason why the killer does this. He is brutal, but when you find out his story you feel a smidgeon of pitty for him.

Eve, who was sexually and physically abused as a child,  is married to Roarke. Who happens to be fabulously good looking and ridiculously rich. Each book is a different murder, which of course always get's solved,  also blends in her relationship with Roarke, and a circle of friends that you get to know more and more each book. 

The series is not for everyone, but I enjoy it.

Next up is Shoot Don't Shoot by J.A. Jance.

Respected Contributor

if anyone is interested in seeing my little free library go to little free library dot org. There's an option to search by charter number. Mine is 115770. Also on fb-page name is The Corner Bookshelf

it's such a fun and rewarding hobby!

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

if anyone is interested in seeing my little free library go to little free library dot org. There's an option to search by charter number. Mine is 115770. Also on fb-page name is The Corner Bookshelf

it's such a fun and rewarding hobby!

@fairydogmother 

Mine is #911-34. 

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@sandy53 wrote:

My book club book this month is Drowning by TJ Newman.  It is the story of an airliner that ditches into the Pacific Ocean minutes after taking off from Honolulu.  Twelve people remain on the plane instead of evacuating.  The plane sinks to the bottom of the ocean and the story of their rescue is the plot of the book.  It is a tense book and several women in the book club could not finish it because of the intensity.  I recommend it, but it is not for everyone. 

@sandy53 

I absolutely could not read this. My biggest fear is drowning, my second fear which is problematic since I love to travel would be crashing into the ocean. This fear get's worse as I get older. My next trip which I will take next year will be International, which means crossing a large body of water. I will need to ask my doctor for some sort of anxiety medication, to make the trip. 

I can understand that! I would add to that I have claustrophobia. Nope, not a good read for me either.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

"The short story is not a pint at the bar - it's having a dram of an evening to yourself." ~Bernard MacLaverty

Quote above from a new Irish author to me and perhaps St Patrick's Day appropriate. 

Finished Claire Keegan's latest offering So Late in the Day: Stories of Women and Men. Keegan is an Irish short story writer and I can't seem to get enough of her work. Not everyone enjoys short stories but I'm always in search of authors who have a knack for the style.

Just started Bernard MacLaverty's book Blank Pages and Other Stories. I'm about 40% in and enjoying this varied collection. Also, another new Irish author to me, Jean Grainger's The Existential Worries of Mags Munroe (audiobook) since I finished Being Henry by Henry Winkler. Must admit I was not a fan of the Winkler book. Felt mentally exhausted listening to him. Bless his wife.

Have a grand weekend all!

Trusted Contributor

I don't post on here regularly, but I just finished The Women by Kristen Hannah. It was very good. It's about the women nurses during the Vietnam War. I've been reading a lot of historical fiction the last few years, most about WWII. It was interesting to read something about an era that I remember, even though I was pretty young. I do remember the fall of Saigon because at that point I was much more aware of what was going on in the world.

Anyway, I highly recommend this book. Not always easy to read, but a good reminder of how badly these veterans were treated when they came back home. Hopefully this will never happen again.

Trusted Contributor

@NEvans2 

I just finished this book also. I really liked it. I remember the ending of the Vietnam war, POW's coming home, I remember the vets were treated badly. This is just a good book.