Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

Our Library has been closed since early March.  I download books on my Ipad or phone.  All from my library, book and audio books.  

The Library is a couple blocks away and I never go because all my books are available on line.  If not I just reserve them and they auto download when it is available again.  Just like a regular book.  

If the Library doesn't have it, I recommend it and they buy it.  Then when it comes in, they notify me and down load it.  

Just go to your Library site and look for e-books.  You just have to download the App to get the books.  Simple.  I read tons of books and have not missed a beat during this shutdown.

depends on what you like to read,  our e-books are only the most popular c--p which makes sense, 

Trusted Contributor
I'm so excited! I left a message at my library today and they called me right back and told me curbside pickup will be starting within the next couple of weeks! I have 7 books waiting and a bag of books to return. They aren't doing intra-library delivery right now so choices will be somewhat limited but still, it may finally be the start of a sort of new normal! Hair salons will be opening next week! Beaches too!! It just gives us something to look forward to after all this time!📚🌊👍
Trusted Contributor
Yay, my library called today and set up my curbside pickup (and drop off) for next Tuesday! Each person has a half hour window to pick up their books, which will have been checked out, placed in a labeled bag and left on a table outside the library for pick up. Dropoffs can still be left in the return slot but won't be checked in for three days.
I have nine books on hold and I just missed picking them up by one day back in March. Even though the library routine is very different, at least for now, it's nice to look forward to a trip to the library again!!📚😃
Respected Contributor

@hooked on books wrote:
Yay, my library called today and set up my curbside pickup (and drop off) for next Tuesday! Each person has a half hour window to pick up their books, which will have been checked out, placed in a labeled bag and left on a table outside the library for pick up. Dropoffs can still be left in the return slot but won't be checked in for three days.
I have nine books on hold and I just missed picking them up by one day back in March. Even though the library routine is very different, at least for now, it's nice to look forward to a trip to the library again!!📚😃

@hooked on books  I'm excited that our library now uses Hoopla so I can borrow ebooks on my Kindle. I was pretty discouraged when they stopped supporting the Cloud Library. 📚🙌🏻🎉

Honored Contributor

Mine is now open for curbside pickup and we can finally return books we've been asked to hold onto for several months, but on a staggered basis. I think I'm going to order a handful more books and skip the rigmarole for a few more weeks. It's fine to be able to order for pickup on-line, but I find a lot of my books browsing the shelves. To add insult to injury, my library installed an all new on-line system just prior to the fallout. I haven't had the opportunity to really get used to it and from what I've seen so far, I find it clunky and cumbersome and am unsure of its benefits compared to the old system. Perhaps it's better for staff use than for patron use or perhaps I'll find it more useful once I become more proficient in its use.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Both of the libraries I use have posted that when you return a book it may take up to 3 days to show that it's been checked back in.  This is so they can sanitize each item that is returned.  They have curbside pickup available during specified days/hours.  

Trusted Contributor
@Catty2, yes, my library told me any books I return will not be checked in for three days so that they can be sanitized.
Honored Contributor

Mine started doing one person at a time by appointment only to pickup on hold books three weeks ago.  When they called to set the appointment I just said call the next person on hold for the book.  As of yesterday the doors are unlocked and open for a maximum of 30 patrons at a time.  Any on hold books ready to be picked up will be put in the usual spot for the patrons to check out.  For now I am going to wait until my first on hold book gets in, which should be later this week. I am the first of most of the books I am holding for so not to concerned about them having been in someone's home.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

Michigan is finally reopening slowly. Our staff will be in next week to prepare for reopening and will be accepting returns. Curbside pickup will start June 15 and will run from 2-3 weeks. Items have to be ordered online or by phone, will be placed in a bag. You call from your car when you get there and a staff member will run your items out to you.