Honored Contributor

Mine hasn't reopened and an email just came out earlier today that didn't offer much in the way of information about when it might. It simply said they're still closed, which seemed unnecessary. There were links to library-related options, none of which seemed particularly useful or interesting. There is some limited capacity for those who use e-readers to 'borrow' books, but that's about it as far as access to reading material goes. All fines and due dates have been waived now for months and they are asking patrons to simply hold onto books until they reopen. I understand the need for them to be closed, but on the other hand, I've never noted larger groups of people milling about the rooms, so distancing shouldn't be a big issue. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

The only upside one might see to all the libraries being closed and, I would note, to all the seeming hoops patrons will have to jump through even when they open, should they choose to do so, is that perhaps the bookstores, long hurting for business, will enjoy better sales of books than they have recently.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

One of the libraries I use has reopened for curbside pickup for books you have requested.  It's Mon thru Sat, 8-10am.  I went last week to pick up a book and it was very well organized in their smaller parking lot.  And they are now taking new requests for books which they haven't since mid-March when they closed.  I am an avid reader and happy that this is an option now.  

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the explanation @Nutzy  and @SparklesMcGee . Now  I know why it took so long for my book returns to come off my account. I didn't know about the special steps they must take to keep materials free from the virus.

Honored Contributor

Mine called me last week to tell me a book I was first on hold for had come in.  They are doing one person at a time in 30 minute increments only on Tues and Thurs.  I asked what the book's title and author of the book and I did not recognize it .  Told them to call the next person in line for it to come pick up and enjoy.  Right now that is just way to complicated to go get something that I thought 6 months ago sounded interesting.  I have decided I will only get new releases and I must be the first on hold for the book.  Have quite a few on hold from authors I love.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

Hooray, hooray, I am just ecstatic!  My library is opening after Memorial Day, for curbside pickup of Holds.  This has just made my day, week, and month!

Honored Contributor

@hgsuddle wrote:

@Travone : I work at the Public Library of Cincinnati and the library is planning to have some branches curbside operational in approximately 2 weeks. No returns accepted yet, and curbside will be only for those people who still have holds left prior to closing. We will be calling patrons to see if they still want them and if yes, they have the option of curbside service. 

Bookdrops will be open for four three days at the end of this week and quarantined for 3 days prior to checking in. Then bookdrops will be closed again and locked. The library is asking that only patrons who HAVE to return their items (death, moving, etc.) do so. Everyone else is still being asked not to return anything.

We will not be up and running for quite a while and I cannot see anyone having access to computers or copiers or browsing in the immediate future. 

Hi, just wondering about anything more recent? Looks like we can get books we have on hold but we can't request anything now unless it was requested before all this started?

Honored Contributor

That is one of the few things in GA that has not come back yet.  I've been waiting to bring my books back forever.  Not even an anticipated open date yet.  It's worse than Heinz ketchup.  

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

That is one of the few things in GA that has not come back yet.  I've been waiting to bring my books back forever.  Not even an anticipated open date yet.  It's worse than Heinz ketchup.  

@Laura14 - Fulton and Gwinnett have announced their re-opening plans, and I heard that Douglasville is already open for curbside service.  So, it will be done on a county-by-county basis and not by statewide decree, apparently.  Cobb and DeKalb have not made any announcements yet.

Honored Contributor

@dawg lover They have?  I was just on the website a few days ago and didn't see it.  I will go look.  Thanks!