Esteemed Contributor

Our library is closed and I miss it so.  However, I will have reservations about checkouts. I may be overreacting, but obviously all those books and videos cannot be cleaned and who knows people's habits or who had been or came in contact with those who have/had been affected by this virus.  I must get past this concern since I rely on my library.

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

It's open, but our Governor's plan only allows for curbside pick up. Drop offs have specific hours which I don't understand. Maybe they are afraid of overflowing the bins.

@AuntG  Our library is completely closed.  When they closed the drop boxes were locked and we were told to hold on to our returns as the bins were filled.  Obviously no charges will be assessed for late returns.  They will fill up quickly when they do open, so you are right about overflowing bins.

Honored Contributor

In Chicago the libraries are closed.  Along with Supercuts I miss it the most and it will be the second place I go to when we are allowed.

Honored Contributor

I'd be wary of physical books and the viruses they could harbor.  That's always been the case, of course, but it's more dangerous now.  It would be nice if books could be sterilzed somehow - like by being zapped in a microwave.

Trusted Contributor

@Travone  I'm in MD and our county public library is still closed.  The web site says until further notice.  I submitted some Suggestions for Purchase, and they were approved.  Apparently, some of the staff is working from home.  

Respected Contributor

Our Library has been closed since early March.  I download books on my Ipad or phone.  All from my library, book and audio books.  

The Library is a couple blocks away and I never go because all my books are available on line.  If not I just reserve them and they auto download when it is available again.  Just like a regular book.  

If the Library doesn't have it, I recommend it and they buy it.  Then when it comes in, they notify me and down load it.  

Just go to your Library site and look for e-books.  You just have to download the App to get the books.  Simple.  I read tons of books and have not missed a beat during this shutdown.

Regular Contributor

@Travone : I work at the Public Library of Cincinnati and the library is planning to have some branches curbside operational in approximately 2 weeks. No returns accepted yet, and curbside will be only for those people who still have holds left prior to closing. We will be calling patrons to see if they still want them and if yes, they have the option of curbside service. 

Bookdrops will be open for four three days at the end of this week and quarantined for 3 days prior to checking in. Then bookdrops will be closed again and locked. The library is asking that only patrons who HAVE to return their items (death, moving, etc.) do so. Everyone else is still being asked not to return anything.

We will not be up and running for quite a while and I cannot see anyone having access to computers or copiers or browsing in the immediate future. 

Respected Contributor

@hgsuddle   Thank you for the information.  I picked up my hold items that were available. the last day the library was open.  When I was checking out the librarian told me it was the last day.  She knew I would want to check out more books as I am a regular.  At the time, I didn't dream it would be this long.  I am in the northern part of the state, so hopefully we won't be far behind you with the opening.

Frequent Contributor

I live in Wisconsin. About 2 weeks ago libraries were allowed to begin curbside service only. Books and other materials that are returned are quarantined for 72 hours before the library processes them to protect the librarians and customers. Online materials and books for my Kindle through the library's Overdrive service have been a godsend to me during the last couple of months.

Regular Contributor

@AuntG  The library's limited drop off times are most likely because of the extensive sanitizing that needs to happen on materials before they are returned to the shelves. 

As a public librarian working from home, I am not looking forward to the multi-step procedures to just check a book in we have to look forward to once the state opens the library.