Honored Contributor

Re: Is "the whole YA book thing" over?

Of course not, YA fiction has been around for a long time and isn't going anywhere. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Re: Is "the whole YA book thing" over?

[ Edited ]

@Alter Ego wrote:

You're all correct.  So allow me to rephrase...

I should note that the woman sitting next to me was probably in her 30's/40's.  I wasn't thinking about actual young adults reading YA literature.  But, the "Twi-Mom" phenomenon.  Do you think we've seen the end of adult superfans or has there just not been anything that has reached those sometimes obsessive levels?

Thanks for the links, annabelle.  YA has come a long way from me reading "Sweet Valley High"! 

I have adult friends who read more YA novels than anything, so no, I don't think it's over. The book festivals I attend have expanded their YA panels and they are a huge draw. And I can tell you, I've never seen anyone under 18 attending a YA panel at the book festivals. The Texas Book Festival has also added a separate YA book festival in my town and the attendees were mostly women in their 20s and 30s. I don't read a lot of YA fiction, but I do attend some of the YA panels because, frankly, they often sound more interesting.

YA seems to attract a lot of great new authors and as long as that category is expanding, I see more authors writing YA fiction, not fewer. More and more established adult novelists are writing YA fiction now, as well.