Honored Contributor

The Mini IPad is out most beloved electronic both husband and I agree!  It is perfect for reading--if the book has pictures in color you can see them in color.  It is easy to hold and has a big enough customizable screen.  It's easy on the eyes too!

BUT you also have full internet access, mail, and most of your apps are right there!

We have basically quit Kindle for these for years now.

Honored Contributor

I still prefer books because my thumb gets sore when I hold my Kindle. I do like the ease of getting a book right away so I mix things up.

Respected Contributor

I completely prefer my Kindle because of the font issue (bad eyes) and the convenience.  Sometimes I will read a book that's large print and then I realize how heavy they are.

I am puzzled by the number of posters who have trouble remembering the title or author of the book.  When I "close" the book I'm reading on my Kindle, the display goes back to the cover of that book, showing the title, the author, and the cover art.  

On the Kindle Fire, the title of the book always shows at the top of the page and the cover art is in color.  I don't mind reading on my Kindle Fire (it doesn't bother my eyes as some people say).  But my Kindle Voyage is lighter. 

Honored Contributor

I think it's wonderful to have the choice of both,

Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina , your post is timely!  My Sony ereader just died after nine years of daily use.  Pretty good huh?

To replace it, I bought a Kobo Clara HD (Our Canadian Library system does not work with Kindle). It is one of the newest.  The most wonderful thing I discovered is that when you are finished reading and power the ereader off, it keeps the book cover on the home screen without using any power.  How great is that?  Now I won’t have the excuse that I can’t remember book titles.

While I was waiting to set up the new ereader, I borrowed a real hardcover book from the library.  Oh my, I hated it.  I couldn’t wait to get rid of it.  Very clumsy and hard to hold.

I don’t think I would ever be without an ereader and it makes the prospect of buying real books most unappealing.  LM

Respected Contributor

Yes, I have carpal tunnel in both hands surgically treated but now back.

Kindle and iPad propped up are a great blessing to me.

Respected Contributor

Having a Kindle (or other e-reader) and supporting local libraries aren't mutually exclusive events!

I get all of my e-books from my library website. I can check out up to 9 books for 21 days each. I queue up a wish list for new books and can have them automatically downloaded to my Kindle when they become available. When I'm home, I usually have a stack of 6-8 library books on my end table. E-books from my library are absolutely fantastic for travel, which I do about 30% of the time. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Not at all.

I prefer reading paperbacks and magazines as "real" books. 

The Kindle is great for those 99 cent novels and was great when I was commuting by train and could download while riding to or from work.   Other than that, I still collect books, space issues notwithstanding.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@smoky22 , my old ereader never showed the cover.  Also, when turning on the ereader, it went right to the last page read so the only time I got to see the cover was when I added or deleted a book or looked through available books on my ereader.

My new ereader shows the title and cover by default so when I pick up the ereader to read again, there it is.  Am liking that!  LM

Trusted Contributor

Re: Has KINDLE Spoiled you?

[ Edited ]

I love my kindle and I am spoiled because:  1) I can get new books instantly, 2) I can adjust the font size, 3) it is very convenient for travel, 4) I can read it in bright sunlight with no glare, and 5) I can put it in a ziplock baggie and read on a floatie in the lake.  

I have no love for "holding a real book in my hands" while reading and I do not want to collect books.  

The biggest negative for me is the cost of kindle books.  I use the public library hold system and reserve new books well in advance of the publication date.  So I read many books in hardcover from the library to save money.  

I find that downloading books through the library system is ok for older books, but the waitlists for new books are usually very long.