Respected Contributor

Although I own a Nook, I love real books. I enjoy seeing the bookmark move along as I progress.

Respected Contributor

Re: Has KINDLE Spoiled you?

[ Edited ]

@number one queen wrote:

I love books,I love to feel them ,smell them ,hold them,but since my arthritis has acted up I got the Paperwhite and it is my new love. Nice and light and when hubby goes to bed I can still read curled up and comfy with my Paperwhite! It is the best thing I have ever bought! I swear if it broke tomorrow I would be ordering a new one the same day!

=========================

Hmmm ... "Paperwhite".

When I replace my old Kindle (gray background and no light), I think I'll get this one.

(That would be fun - reading in total darkness on a rainy nite.)

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

I don't have a Kindle, but I download books to my iPad from Kindle and Nook.  Has this spoiled me?? well, no.

It has cost me more money!  I read a lot of books that come in a series.  I am a fast reader...always have been.  I sometimes can read a full book in one day...max two days.  After I am finished, I just order the next book in the series. I am always downloading a new book.

I still like paper books..paperbacks and hardbacks. So, I read on the iPad and the old fashioned way too. I get secondhand books when I can.

I guess it doesn't matter to me.  I just enjoy reading.

Regular Contributor

Hi Fancypantsy:  I noticed there were many Kindle users who regretted not being able to remember the name of the book they were currently reading. I currently have both the Paperwhite and Oasis kindles. If I can’t remember I just tap at the top where the “menu” is and the title is right  there at the very top left. Perhaps this isn’t what was meant, and , of course, doesn’t help if you don’t have your Kindle, but then it wouldn’t help remembering the title if you didn’t have your book either, I guess?😄. Happy reading

Honored Contributor

@Carmie, save some serious money and figure out how to download ebooks from your library.

Honored Contributor

Thanks @tansy   I have done that on occasion.  I buy from Amazon when I can't wait for the book.  It's been a while though, I almost forgot that I can do that.  

Thanks for the reminder.  You're right, I can save some money.

Respected Contributor

Yes, 100%.

I absolutely love:

• Being able to change the fiont size on the fly.
  • That if I decide I don't like the book I'm reading or it's not the right book at the right time, I dozens more to choose from on the device.
  • Getting free books from Freebooksy.
  • Downloading samples before I buy
  • Knowing that if I forget my Kindle, I can pick up my phone or a different Kindle on my account  and it will have the same book on the same page.
  • The way it allows me to organize my content.
  • The way it syncs up to Goodreads and can automatically mark my books as Currently Reading or Read as I start and finish them and that I can opt to load my highlighted passages and notes to Goodreads to share with friends
  • The amount of space is saves in my luggage! I was that read who always packed 5 books for a week long trip. Now I just make sure my Kindle is in my purse and that I've downloaded anything I want to read while I'm gone. I have hundreds of books and samples downloaded on the Kindle in my purse.
Respected Contributor

Re: Has KINDLE Spoiled you?

[ Edited ]

I thought I wouldn't like using an e-reader but I'm  now on my 3rd one and they're one of the best things ever invented imo.    Being a voracious reader, having the ability to download books in a second is like being in a big huge candy store.  I wouldn't mind having my tv or radio taken away from me but I would never part with my Kindle!

Super Contributor

Yes! I wouldn't have it any other way.  I have glaucoma and am so glad I can change the font and I can read in the dark.  I buy e books from Amazon, only when they are not available to download from the library.

Valued Contributor

I can understand why students might prefer paper books. I probably would prefer them for studying. I know ebooks can highlight and note opportunity, but I think that a traditional book would be easier.

I enjoy my Kindle because it is portable and  adjustable for font, script size, and format.  I don't have to use a bookmark, and I can read several titles on the same Kindle. I like the fact that I can read in bed without a lamp and I can get definitions of unknown words without checking a reference book.

One downside is that I often do not remember the title of the book, since I am not picking up a book with a cover every time I read.

Also,I have trouble going back to recheck an event or a character. Maybe that is because I can't flip pages to go back to a chapter, or maybe it's all in my head.

When I received a book as birthday gift this year, I had to stop myself from pressing on the edge of a page to turn it,

Guess I am hooked!