Honored Contributor

Re: HAPPY MAY TO OUR READERS!

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Monogamy, by Sue Miller.   A very happy marriage of 30 years only to find out the ultimate betrayal when you can no longer ask why, or at least get an answer to why did he do it?

@beckyb1012 This is also on my TBR list!

Trusted Contributor

This year I finally started the Alphabet mystery series by Sue Grafton. It's been a roller coaster of ratings. Some I've enjoyed more than others. I just finished G is for Gumshoe. Some parts of this plot were just so far fetched and the lead character makes so many stupid mistakes as she tries to not be killed by a hit man. I found myself rolling my eyes and muttering "are you kidding me?" multiple times plus as soon as a new male character is introduced I immediately make the bet that she will most likely sleep with him! I'll take a break, read another series and sometime return to this series again since I do find some of the stories entertaining. 

Respected Contributor

Finished The Happy Accidents by Jamie Beck (ARC).  It's not as good as her others I've read but it was light reading.

Trusted Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

Murder at the Royal Albert Hall:  a 1920's cozy historial mystery  (A Ginger Gold Mystery Book 15) by Lee Strauss.

Nothing ruins a night at the Royal Albert faster than a duchess falling to her death.  Ginger Reed, also known as Lady Gold, is with her husband, Basil Reed, a chief inspector at Scotland Yard, along with the Dowager Lady Gold, Felicia, and Felicia's beau.  Many questions come to mind as Ginger and Basil start the investigation.

This is a very good mystery series.

I agree.  This is a really fun series and I like the time period.  I recommend it also.

Esteemed Contributor

I  just finished Murder at the Dude Ranch (A Rosa Reed Mystery Book 7)  by Lee Strauss.  Another very good book in the series, which is part of the Ginger Gold Mysteries.  Rosa Reed is the daughter of Ginger (Lady Gold) and Basil Reed of London.  Rosa leaves her groom-to-be at the alter and escapes to her aunt's mansion in Southern California and opens her own detective agency.

In this book, Rosa and her aunt's family decide to take a mini vacation to the Black Stallion Dude Ranch.  It is the beginning of 1957 and Rosa needs some time on the trails.  The peace and quiet of the ranch is soon disrupted when a horse returns without its rider.  When foul play is determined, Rosa is once again into a murder investigation with her boyfriend, Detective Miguel Belmonte.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

hello everyone,

I just finished reading The Venice Sketchbook by Rhys Bowen.  It was the first book I've read by this author.  

Review in Goodreads:

Caroline Grant is struggling to accept the end of her marriage when she receives an unexpected bequest. Her beloved great-aunt Lettie leaves her a sketchbook, three keys, and a final whisper…Venice. Caroline’s quest: to scatter Juliet “Lettie” Browning’s ashes in the city she loved and to unlock the mysteries stored away for more than sixty years.

It’s 1938 when art teacher Juliet Browning arrives in romantic Venice. For her students, it’s a wealth of history, art, and beauty. For Juliet, it’s poignant memories and a chance to reconnect with Leonardo Da Rossi, the man she loves whose future is already determined by his noble family. However star-crossed, nothing can come between them. Until the threat of war closes in on Venice and they’re forced to fight, survive, and protect a secret that will bind them forever.

I enjoyed it as I'm really into historical fiction stories.

I am now reading The night portrait : a novel of World War II and da Vinci's Italy by Laura Morelli.  Summary:  A tale told in two historical periods follows da Vinci's ambitious 1492 creation of Portrait of a Lady with an Ermine and a conservator's life-risking effort to save the painting from Nazi destruction centuries later.

Valued Contributor

@roeroe1005

I love Rhys Bowen and didn't realize she had a new book out.  It's on my list!

Esteemed Contributor

"The End of Her" by Shari Lapena. Another good one by the author. The book has several twists one doesn't see coming. The ending is left with some questions unanswered, but I still liked the way the author ended the book.

Next on my list is Ann Cleeves book "Telling Tales" an earlier one featuring Vera Stanhope. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

For Terri Blackstock lovers (me, me, me!)

AFTERMATH Releases May 11!

By the way, this is a stand-alone.

A DEVASTATING EXPLOSION.

Three best friends are at the venue to hear their favorite band. Only one makes it out alive.

A TRUNK FULL OF EVIDENCE.

When police stop Dustin Webb with a warrant to search his trunk, he knows there’s been a mistake. He’s former military and owns a security firm. But he’s horrified when the officers find explosives, and he can’t fathom how they got there.

AN ATTORNEY WHO WILL RISK IT ALL FOR AN OLD FRIEND.

Criminal attorney Jamie Powell was Dustin’s best friend growing up. They haven’t spoken since he left for basic training, but she’s the first person he thinks of when he’s arrested. Jamie knows she’s putting her career on the line by defending an accused terrorist, but she’d never abandon him. Someone is framing Dustin to take the fall for shocking acts of violence . . . but why?

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished "The Last Flight"l by Julie Clark.

It was about two women switching airplane tickets to escape situations. 
    It had short chapters about each one. 
     I stayed up too late because I couldn't stop reading it!