Contributor

I read several different genres - cozies, historical fiction, thrillers, nonfiction, mysteries, memoirs, sci - fi ,fantasy, time travel,  etc. I sometimes find myself being interested in certain genres in phases. Like I'll read historical fiction books for a month or so and then switch to sci - fi or thrillers. When I'm going through a certain "phase" only one genre will interest me. Then it passes and I switch to a different genre. Does this happen with anyone else?

Honored Contributor

Years ago, I enjoyed those gothic romances.  I'm not even sure they are still being written.  There wasn't much romance, but usually a maid or nanny found herself trapped in a gothic mansion.  How dumb is that?  That's one genre I'd never go back to.

Trusted Contributor

I go through phases. Currently I am into the post-apocalyptic novels. Hmmm,....I wonder why 🤔

I love time travel books!

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Years ago, I enjoyed those gothic romances.  I'm not even sure they are still being written.  There wasn't much romance, but usually a maid or nanny found herself trapped in a gothic mansion.  How dumb is that?  That's one genre I'd never go back to.

@AuntGMe too!  I used to love those books!  I think from there I went on to spy books.  I loved John Le Carre, Ken Follett, Robert Ludlum, and many others.  Now my attention span isn't what it used to be and I mainly read cosy mysteries.

Esteemed Contributor

I buy a lot of self-help books too.  It would help if I read them.

Esteemed Contributor

I read by author, although that's pretty much by genre I guess. I've collected every book from three of my authors and love re-reading them over and over. I find something new each time and because of the number of books they've written, my re-reading any of them takes enough time to make them fresh again. My three favorites are John Grisham, John Sandford (Prey series) and Sue Graffton .

Respected Contributor

I still love reading 17th and 18th century romance novels, Like "Pride and Prejudice", and "Sense and Sensibility".  I got on a kick several years ago and read one a week! Woman Happy  

Regular Contributor

Yes, I do the same!  One phase will be historical fiction, then on to another genre.  Lately I have read a lot of Amish fiction.  A co-worker passes her books on to me - that's how I tried Amish books.  Mysteries get time with me too.  Variety is the spice of life!!

Esteemed Contributor

@jannabelle1 Recently read a Sandford book. Liked it - kept my interest. Will try to read more.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@BirdieGal wrote:

I go through phases. Currently I am into the post-apocalyptic novels. Hmmm,....I wonder why 🤔

I love time travel books!

Do tell.