Respected Contributor

Has anyone read any of her books?  She was born in Scottland in the late 1800s and wrote all these lovely books for the period of about 1890 to WWII about life as she saw it in those days.  Her books had been out of print, but are now being re-issued. 

I have read all the Miss Buncle books earlier this year and just saw that more of her books have come out so I went ahead and downloaded those also to my Kindle.

The funny thing is that not much really happens in the books, but they are so well written and the stories really are very interesting.

Honored Contributor

Not yet, but I also have Miss Buncle's Book on my Kindle. It's on my To Read list.

Occasional Contributor

I was stunned to see D. E. Stevenson's name on QVC's site!  I read many, many of her novels in the '70s and '80s.  I was thrilled to see that recently some of her books have been republished.  I especially liked the Mrs. Tim series, the Miss Buncle series, and a couple of books about Katherine Wentworth.  Her stories of everyday English life are restful to read, her characters have integrity, and some of the storylines are amusing in that typically British style.  Beyond the novels that Amazon has, libraries still have her works.   

Respected Contributor

@Meggee 

I have only read one of the Mrs. Tim books and hope the others will be available soon.  I also downloaded a Katherine Wentworth book today and a bunch of others plus I preordered another one.

I agree with you they are restful to read even the ones that are about the wars and have a quiet sense of humor.

Just love them.

Respected Contributor

In the 70s and 80s I was reading phylosophers and classics (don't know why); now I only want to be entertained.

Wanted to add this to my previous post, but I don't know how to re-open a post once it has posted.

Occasional Contributor

It is so nice to know that someone else appreciates D. E. Stevenson!  Another author who wrote in a similar style and time was E. M. Delafield.  "Diary of a Provincial Lady" was the start of a short series of novels.  I hope you enjoy many more Stevenson books!

Trusted Contributor

I've never talked to anyone else who knew D. E. Stevenson.  Some of my favorites:  MUSIC IN THE HILLS, SHOULDER THE SKY, and STILL GLIDES THE STREAM.  This thread has reminded me of how much I love them -- time to start re-reading!

I don't know E. M. Delafield, so I'll have to look for those, too.  Thanks!

Valued Contributor

Two other lovely British writers you might like are Angela Thirkell and Miss Read (Dora Saint).  Although the books take place in mid 20th century, they are also peaceful and quietly humorous

I haven't read D.E. Stevenson's books, but will definitely try them.  Thank you for the recommendation!

Valued Contributor

Just finished my first two Stevenson books: The House on the Cliff and Green Money. Loved them!

Can't thank you enough for the suggestion!