Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

a really good historical novel or two for me to sink my teeth into this summer?

Respected Contributor

These are not new, but they are good--

The Nightinglae by Kristin Hannah

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

Trusted Contributor

Definitely The Nightingale. Also try The Alice Network (sorry, can't remember the author)), it was excellent.

Trusted Contributor

I recommend Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan.  It is based on a true story set in Italy during World War 2. 

Winds of War by Herman Wouk is an excellent older book if you have never read it.  

Respected Contributor

@CJC

Although you said historical, I would recommend Ken Follet’s Pillars of the Earth.  It is historical and deals with the history of architecture related to churches.  There is underlying fiction covering early Europe through to the East.

Fascinating, lengthy read which even DH couldn’t put down !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Valide: A Novel of the Harem-Barbara Chase Riboud

Recreated from historical facts, this novel tells the story of a young French-American girl sold into the harem of Abdulhamid, who becomes Valide, Empress of the Ottoman Empire

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Men to Match My Mountains by Irving Stone.  Its the story of the settlement of the West.  It's so riveting I could scarcely put it down.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker - reading it now - by Jennifer Chiavarini (sp?)

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

The LILAC GIRLS by Martha Hall Kelly.  One of my all-time favorite books ever!  

Contributor

I agree with another's suggestion of  Pillars Of The Earth, loved it, huge big book but worth the read, every moment of it!........also :  The Kitchen House and it's sequel,: Glory Over Everything................these both take place on a plantation in the time of slavery in the south, loved them both!...