Honored Contributor

Re: Books - Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee

The title refers to a verse in the Bible as stated. However I also think it means we are our own Watchman. Read the book last week and realy liked it. Read Mocking bird when I was 16. I think if you saw the movie first and then read the book you have a different mind set. G. Peck gave us all an American icon as Atticus. When I read Mockingbird I thought Atticus reminded me of my Dad and he still does in Watcman. Our grandson who is 18 thought both the book and movie were "boring"-different times, different people.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

@ncascade wrote:

The title refers to a verse in the Bible as stated. However I also think it means we are our own Watchman. Read the book last week and realy liked it. Read Mocking bird when I was 16. I think if you saw the movie first and then read the book you have a different mind set. G. Peck gave us all an American icon as Atticus. When I read Mockingbird I thought Atticus reminded me of my Dad and he still does in Watcman. Our grandson who is 18 thought both the book and movie were "boring"-different times, different people.

I just finished the book and really liked it, too.  As I understood it, our conscience is the Watchman (we are our own watchman, as you said).  I read TKAM when I was a junior or a senior in HS, so it's been a long while.   The two books ae totally different and I'm glad I read GSAW. 

Esteemed Contributor

I read the book a few weeks ago, and it's still popping into my mind every now and then. 

I enjoyed the book very much. I wasn't used to a grown-up Scout (Jean Louise), so I found it quite interesting to see how she'd turned out. I loved her pluckiness and her personality. I feel she grew up exactly as I would have expected her to. I never really gave much thought the grown-up she would become. Moving to New York really changed her, I think. She looked at her home town in a totally different way after spending time in the north. 

I enjoyed reading about the real Atticus and how he wasn't the man Jean Louise thought she knew. She had put him on a pedestal (as we all did when we read TKAM). To find out that her father was a human being was so hard for her to accept, as she'd seen him as a god. I never saw him as a racist. He didn't hate anyone, and he never went in for the white sheets and the violence. He was a man who lived through segregationn but not in a brutal way. 

I just loved the book, I loved the ending, and I plan on reading it again. 

Just as an aside, for those of you that watched the movie, do you think you would have loved Atticus as much if he wasn't played by Gregory Peck? To  me, Atticus was "all that" partly because he was portrayed by the handsome and respected Gregory Peck. Just a thought...

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett