Honored Contributor

Books: Magazines, to be specific.

Just got my second Reader's Digest. I realized I missed getting that. I've had some others that have delt with one subject (like cooking ones), I just tired of. I love stories, I love the info I get, etc. So I'm a happy camper.

So after I finish one of my pictures I'm coloring, I'm going to jump into this. When I've read it all, I pass it on to our son. Just enough of a story that we have the time for. I have more time than he does, but I do like these magazines.

Anyone like this one?

Respected Contributor

Re: Books: Magazines, to be specific.

I don't get a lot of magazines anymore but I still get entertainment weekly and O only because I got them really cheap.

Honored Contributor

It takes me days over a period of time to read magazines.  One of my favorites is Smithsonian.  It's amazing and I recommend it.  I think my son-in-law gave it to me as a gift.  

I like Entertainment Weekly but buy it at store.  I buy Star magazine, People, several others.  Most I pass on to other people to read.

I wish some of you lived closer to me, I'd love to share the Smithsonian magazine as it is unusual and I don't know anyone who enjoys it.

I do feel like all of you about reading the magazines.  I like to leaf through the pages, go back and forth skip and go back.

Respected Contributor

I love Smithsonian. I also like Art and Antiques. I subscribe to People STYLE WATCH and Entertainment Weekly. Both of those are great.

Honored Contributor

I love Smithsonian as well.

I've gotten away from magazines as I wasn't reading them. I switched a few to digital and was forgetting to read them.

In fact, I just tried to get a few of my subscriptions moved to another magazine but they couldn't do it.

I belong to a gym, so I take mine to the gym and they are always picked up by people to read on the treadmill.  I don't feel so bad about not reading them.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I didn't even realize Reader's Digest was still published. Didn't they used to sell it at the grocery store?

I remember my grandmother making some sort of paper angels with these magazines by folding the pages, spraying them with spray paint and attached a decorated syrofoam head. Memories....

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Respected Contributor

I had to back off on my mags because I couldn't keep up with them. I did enjoy Smithsonian when I had a subscription.  Thanks for the reminder - - I'll look for it the next time I'm at the library.  Semi-retired now so have to watch the budget.  I do subscribe to Bookmarks, which is both good news & bad news.  I learn about many authors past, present & new, & new books, but again, too many books so little time!

Respected Contributor

I read everything in Bookmarks, The New York Review of Books, Opera News, and The Christian Science Monitor

Honored Contributor

This is good to know what others people are enjoying. I'll have to look into the Smithsonian, and a couple of the others.

I do remember the folding of the pages and people spray painting them green, and decorating them as trees as Christmas approached. That's funny!

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal

I still love magazines!  And I am so excited when new ones come in the mail.  It might seem a waste to some, but I still enjoy them so much.  I get a lot of different ones.  One I particlularly like is Reminisce.  Have you tried this one?  It is old time pictures and stories.  Readers send in their pictures and stories.  It is great.  I can identify with a lot of them.  Also, Country Living is wonderful.  Of course, there is Prevention.  I get Womens Day, Red Book, Marie Clare, etc., etc.  I just get a stack and go to town!  I pass them on to family members when I am done.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin