Honored Contributor

Books - Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee

Anyone else looking forward to the release of this book on July 14th?   I understand lots of book stores, libraries, etc. are going all out for the book release, sounds exciting!

Frequent Contributor

Re: Books - Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee

Yes, hooty. I have preordered Go Set a Watchman. After reading, I will be proud to place it beside my mother's copy of To Kill a Mockingbird. Enjoy the experience!

Respected Contributor

i am hoping her "advisors" are not taking advantage of her.  she insisted she didn't want it published -  let's face it: "To Kill a Mockingbird" is a hard act to follow even after all these years.

Trusted Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

i am hoping her "advisors" are not taking advantage of her.  she insisted she didn't want it published -  let's face it: "To Kill a Mockingbird" is a hard act to follow even after all these years.

I agree.

I am waiting to hear some reviews before I rush out and buy it. 

Honored Contributor

I am suspicous of the book.  Several times I've gone to pre-order it and stopped myself.  I'm a lit major who considers "To Kill a Mockingbird" the greatest novel of the 20th century (along with "The Great Gatsby"),  I just can't seem to trust the circumstances of "Go Set a Watchman."  So I'm waiting for the reviews.

Respected Contributor

I have it on reserve at the library.  I'm not sure what number I am on the waitlist, though.  I'm not in a hurry.  I have so many books to read right now. 

Honored Contributor

FYI - The Wall Street Journal has published the first chapter of the book on their web site  ............  I just read it and I cannot wait to read the rest of the book!Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I have read a couple of very lengthy stories about the publication of this book. I came away with the definite impression that there are people around Miss Lee that are taking advantage of her advanced age and failing health to pressure her into approval of publication in order to line their own pockets. her sister who,served as her "gatekeeper" is now deceased so there is no one now to buffer Miss Lee from these greedy people. She stated for years that she did not want this book published and now all of a sudden after her sister's death it is being published when her mental and physical health is in severe decline. I am extremely suspicious of this sudden change of heart.
Trusted Contributor

I've reserved it at the library.   

Respected Contributor

Hooty, I can't begin to tell you how excited I am about the release of this book!  TKAMB is my top 3 all-time most favorite books & how 'bout the movie with Gregory Peck????  I have no big expectations; I am aware of the "drama" surrounding this new book, however I choose to lighten up, read the book & not be too critical.  It's the adventure leading up to the release & the curiosity of what it could possibly be that is the fun surounding the release!  See ya'on the boards when it's all well said and done.