Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday I read Dear Edward by Ann Napolitano from beginning to end. I didn't stop once, and read the entire book in one afternoon. Can you say FIVE STARS? It's one of my favorite books of 2020 so far, about a 12 year old boy who is flying from New York to California with his mom, dad, and 15 year old brother. The plane crashes, and he is the sole survivor of 191 passengers. He is taken in to live with his aunt and uncle in New Jersey, and starts a new life.

Although the subject matter is sad (how could it not be), it's also a beautifully-written story. I just loved it, and highly recommend it to everyone.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

Re: Another Five-Star Book!!!

I am not a reader anymore,but will recommend it to all my friends who are avid readers, thanks!!

Respected Contributor

I've been on waitlist for this for awhile.  I'm looking forward to reading it.  @sunala  thanks for the great review.

Respected Contributor

Last month I was searching for a good book to take on a trip. I saw this book was recommended by Jenna Bush on the Today Show.   But then when I read it involved a plane crash, I thought it might not be good for me to read on my flight since I’m a bit nervous about flying as it is.  But I do intend to read it in the future. 

Honored Contributor

Might reserve the audio book because I think it might be a good one to listen to.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunala 

i recommended this one last month.  It's one of the best books I've ever read.  There's a couple of paragraphs on the author's web site and in the Barnes & Noble edition I bought of the book in which she explains that it's based on a true story and that it took her 8 years to write.

Time well spent!

Esteemed Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@sunala 

i recommended this one last month.  It's one of the best books I've ever read.  There's a couple of paragraphs on the author's web site and in the Barnes & Noble edition I bought of the book in which she explains that it's based on a true story and that it took her 8 years to write.

Time well spent!

@Sammycat1  - I'm going to have to read up about this author as well. I never heard of a child surviving a major plane crash, although sometime in the early 1960's there was a crash of two jets over Brooklyn. One young boy survived but he died shortly after the crash. Thanks for the heads up!

Honored Contributor

@sunala  This book is based on a true story.  Ruben van Assouw was 9 years old when be became the lone survivor of a  Libyian Airline crash in 2010.  Assouw is one of a roughly 61 people who became lone survivors of plane crashes in the history of flight.  The youngest lone survivor of a plane crash was 14 month old.   The earliest survivor was a 17 year old girl in 1936.

Trusted Contributor

@sunala  First time posting in the Book Club.   I do, however, read the posts almost daily.   I just have to thank you for suggesting "Dear Edward".   I absolutely loved that book and read it in two days.    I am very thankful that I have a Nook so I am able to get books.  Although I must say that I do have trouble concentrating as others have stated.     Wasn't a problem with Edward.   Thanks again.

Esteemed Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

@sunala  First time posting in the Book Club.   I do, however, read the posts almost daily.   I just have to thank you for suggesting "Dear Edward".   I absolutely loved that book and read it in two days.    I am very thankful that I have a Nook so I am able to get books.  Although I must say that I do have trouble concentrating as others have stated.     Wasn't a problem with Edward.   Thanks again.

@Junebug54  - welcome to the Book Club. It's so nice to see you here. I hope you'll enjoy your experience.

I'm so glad you enjoyed Dear Edward. I'm also glad I read it before the pandemic. I don't know if I could have enjoyed it during this time.

Happy reading and welcome back anytime!!