Valued Contributor

Re: what do you do if your mate doesn't like/want you to wear makeup?

I haven't read all the other responses, just the first page. There really isn't enough information. This sounds like an opportunity for a "Why?" conversation, where you both listen to each other. Is it that he doesn't care for a multi-hour over-the-top look, and prefers subtle touches, or something else? For years my BF had very little sense of smell, resulting from his prolonged smoking; he quit before we met. This past spring, he had a dramatic, negative response to a lotion I was wearing during a car trip. We had to drive with the windows down, it bothered him so much. It seems his sense of smell has returned, and he has become far more sensitive to scents. Given that I know his fear of nausea and that was what the fragrance triggered, I'll get rid of the lotion. He also prefers a natural, or un-made up look, which we discussed over time. We've been together for two decades. At one point hair asthma was so bad, I stopped wearing scent. He didn't ask me to, but I was aware it could be a trigger. He didn't mention a preference for me without makeup until we'd been involved for a while, and more often than not I don't wear it anyway, now that I'm no longer in a corporate career. Also, he thought some of the colors were uncomplimentary. When his girls were teens they'd consult him on makeup looks for dances, etc., not their mom, so he does have a good sense of color. Always ask, "Why?" The answer may surprise you in a good way.
Trusted Contributor

Do what YOU want to do. If your significant other doesn't like makeup, he doesn't have to wear any. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

is he telling you that you're beautiful regardless or is he telling you 'I don't want you to wear makeup'? There's a big difference
Respected Contributor

Mine doesn't like when I wear lip gloss or lipstick...he doesn't like kissing me with it. But I wear it anyway. Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Esteemed Contributor

On 8/13/2014 Andreatoo said: is he telling you that you're beautiful regardless or is he telling you 'I don't want you to wear makeup'? There's a big difference

Amen!

Super Contributor

On 8/13/2014 Persephonel said: I asked him why and he doesn't know why, he just likes me natural. I do wear it anyway.

You're lucky to have a man that appreciates your natural beauty. Sounds like he is just stating his preferences. My husband doesn't care for red lipstick. No big deal. Lots of men like long hair or blond hair. This is no different. In a good relationship we need to pick our battles wisely. Really, I know so many women that would like to wear their hair shorter, but don't cut it to please their men. We just need to find our happy medium. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

I think a lot of men just say that because they don't have that much knowledge about makeup really.

Super Contributor

Well I would sell him on the idea that I loved makeup and then I would wear make up........sorry I am a girl and a lady and a woman and I love to dress up and make up........lipstick included.........I said to my boyfriend I am a girl today and he said you are always a girl.........and he meant it sweet......no tom boy here.

Super Contributor

My son does not like makeup on a woman and he hates lipstick yet I dated a man that loved me wearing lipstick.........it is just all in the person and some men don't want it on their facec by transferring to their skin but he could be jealous and not want you looking fabulous.

Valued Contributor

He sounds a little bit like my ex-husband. I was married a week when he started telling me what was appropriate for a married woman to look like.

Consider it a big red flag.