Honored Contributor

Re: what do you do if your mate doesn't like/want you to wear makeup?

On 8/13/2014 jubilant said:

If I liked wearing makeup and I felt it important for myself, I would simply tell him I liked it and want to wear it. See what he says next. Then go from there. If he argues about it or get's offish or angry or his body language seems off....that will be your answer. Wink The things you like and don't like make you who you are.

Sorry thought I edited first post to add another sentence{#emotions_dlg.mellow}

Valued Contributor

On 8/13/2014 Persephonel said: And you love makeup?

You say you love makeup, which begs the question are you in in a long term relationship or is this a new person in your life?

Honored Contributor

I would keep wearing it. If he really cares for you he will accept it since you like makeup so much. I would not change one thing. Wearing makeup doesn't change who you are and how you treat him.

Esteemed Contributor

Have you asked him why he doesn't want you to wear make up? Has he given you an answer? I'm curious when a spouse doesn't want their spouse to be the best they can be, and make their own decisions.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

On 8/13/2014 MarenSeattle said:
On 8/13/2014 santorini said:

Get rid of your mate. Smile

That's my initial response, too. It's not the makeup, it's him trying to dictate to me. If I REALLY liked him and that was his ONLY flaw, I'd just wear it anyway and tell him to deal with it.

What they said{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} Especially the bolded part.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Super Contributor

I for sure would ask him what about the makeup does he not like, is it the color or the application. If it's one of those two reasons, I would have my makeup done by a professional and see what he says. If it's makeup in general, and you love makeup, he is controlling and you need to rethink this relationship, believe me, makeup is just the start, he will come up with something else, next.
Super Contributor

Double
Valued Contributor

On 8/13/2014 Linda129 said:

My first response is the guy is controlling yet the OP said he was a great guy. So to the OP - if you want feedback that is helpful, maybe you should expand on the situation.

I'm good now. You did help. Thanks to all who posted !
Super Contributor

I would tell him where to shove it.
Esteemed Contributor

So sorry you've run up against this brick wall.

My dh expresses disdain on occasion about make-up and has to for 45 years. Me? I don't give a fig what he says. I still put on my face what I want to put on my face.