Honored Contributor

Trying again,  i had been using obagi 1.0 rentinol cream ,my order from all day chemist came ,i ordered tretinoin cream 0.25 ,thinking this was stronger than the obagi, was i wrong?Smiley Frustrated

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

The Obaji is not prescription strength tretinoin (which is the name brand Retin-A).  It's retinol that is available over the counter.  Tretinoin comes in .1%, .025% and .05%.  I'd suggest starting with the lowest percentage.  I have .05% and I have to mix it with a moisturizer or else it burns my face.  Somehow I got too much underneath my eyes and the skin was very red and peeling.  Only apply a very small pea-size and then wait 1/2 hour before you put moisturizer on it.

Honored Contributor

Depending on the formulation used in a retinol product, generally a 1% concentration will, at best, give you similar results you might see when using .025% tretinoin. @goldensrbest

Honored Contributor

Yes ,i know it is not prescription strength,   what i am confused about is the one from all day chemist stronger?

Honored Contributor

This darn page keeps jumping around on me!!!!

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbestwrote:

Yes ,i know it is not prescription strength,   what i am confused about is the one from all day chemist stronger?

@goldensrbest,

Retinol concentrations and their efficacy are highly dependant on the product's ability to stabilize it and make it work on the skin. Sometimes the stabilizing additives can cause irritation but without them then the retinol may become inactive. There are no scientific standards set for retinol so it varies from brand to brand, even when the bottles all say '1%' they may act differently.  When using a Rx product, like tretinoin, you are using a product that has a standardized amount of active ingredients.