Respected Contributor

Tipping Hairdresser + Buying Product

Hi, I know this has been on this board before. I went to have my haircut today which  cost $60.00 plus I bought a product which costs $20.00. I only tipped for the haircut is this right? You wouldn't leave more of a tip because of the product I purchased would you?

I feel stupid asking this question but I think I did tip accordingly.What do you do? Thanks

Honored Contributor

Re: Tipping Hairdresser + Buying Product

Correct 

Honored Contributor

@cuddlesmamaYou're absolutely right.  The tip is for the service, not for any products you buy. 

Honored Contributor

I work part time at a salon and you are correct.  You only need to tip for the service.

Respected Contributor

Correct you are tipping the service.

They make a commission on the product sale

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't have tipped on the product either.

Personally I am a good tipper but sometimes I feel it is a bit out of control.  JMO

Trusted Contributor

Only on the $60.  Exactly right.

Honored Contributor

I sometimes wonder why we tip hairdressers..they make a lot of money.I pay 150 for cut and color which takes two hours max.Thats 75 dollars an hour.

Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone!! Much appreciated!!

Esteemed Contributor

This whole tipping thing is out of control!

Tipping was to be given for service above and beyond the norm, certainly not a given.  Today it's considered a given and not necessarily for service above and beyond the norm.  Today, customers are expected to subsidize salaries in a variety of service industries (includes hairdressers).  Why?  Why should customers be expected to pick up the tab?  People who work in non-service industries don't get a tip, and often for much more valuable service.  Many companies won't even allow their personnel being gifted.  So, none of this tipping thing seems appropriate imho.

I totally don't mind tipping well for service over and above.  I greatly resent tipping for service that's just the norm.  I do 'cause that's what society 'demands'.  However, I think this entire tipping thing is being abused.