Super Contributor

Re: off Topic- I need a ground coffee recommendation.

I don't drink coffee but my family likes Maxwell House ground coffee. My daughter likes Dunkin Donuts.

Trusted Contributor

On 10/27/2014 kcladyz said:

It was decaf starbucks I used and I was suprised that I hated it.

If your taste buds are anything like mine, there's two reason right there why you hated it. I second GoodStuff's recommendation of Eight o'Clock, which comes in different roasts and flavors.

Super Contributor

On 10/27/2014 Lannie said:
On 10/27/2014 beautyq said:

Upgraded Self Bulletproof Coffee. It is sooooo smooth and delicious. More expensive but worth it.

https://www.upgradedself.com/coffee

Never had heard of this before, so checked it out - do you use the oil and butter?

I switched to organic coffee a while back because of the pesticide use, but wonder if I still am getting what I really want.

It is that different even when drinking it black?

Thanks!

Yes I do use the oil and Kerry Gold Grass Fed butter (either their brand of MCT or brain Octain oil or NOW MCT oil). I usually add a little Ceylon organic Cinnamon and Gaia Gelatinized Maca. Just recently I've started using their Upgraded Vanilla (which is delicious).

This is the smoothest, least bitter coffee I've tried. I hate Starbucks coffee. It is expensive but I really like it. I try not to drink coffee every day because don't want to be addicted.

Respected Contributor

Target's Archer Farms ground coffee is very good, a nice smooth taste and no bitterness.

Valued Contributor

Upgraded Self Bulletproof Coffee. It is sooooo smooth and delicious. More expensive but worth it.

Never had heard of this before, so checked it out - do you use the oil and butter?

I switched to organic coffee a while back because of the pesticide use, but wonder if I still am getting what I really want.

Thanks!

Yes I do use the oil and Kerry Gold Grass Fed butter (either their brand of MCT or brain Octain oil or NOW MCT oil). I usually add a little Ceylon organic Cinnamon and Gaia Gelatinized Maca. Just recently I've started using their Upgraded Vanilla (which is delicious).

This is the smoothest, least bitter coffee I've tried. I hate Starbucks coffee. It is expensive but I really like it. I try not to drink coffee every day because don't want to be addicted.

thanks for the information! I'm going to try the oil. Are they all about the same?
Super Contributor

Pumpkin Spice Liquid, Coffee Mate:

INGREDIENTS: WATER, SUGAR, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OIL, AND LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE (A MILK DERIVATIVE)**, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, COLOR ADDED, CELLULOSE GEL, CELLULOSE GUM, CARRAGEENAN.

Trusted Contributor

Gevalia Kaffe it was founded in Sweden and is in my opinion the best coffee out there, they have all kinds of blends that are a medium-bodied smooth coffee. It's 200% Arabica coffee and very delicious and works with any creamer you like. It also comes in K-cups so you can use it in any machine you own.

Super Contributor

On 10/27/2014 Persephonel said:

Thanks!

thanks for the information! I'm going to try the oil. Are they all about the same?

MCT oil can irritate the stomach/GI system so start SLOW!! He makes his coffee stronger than me. Either get his MCT or NOW MCT. The brain octane is only one type of MCT and is supposedly best for brain. I use 2 rounded tablespoons for 2 big cups.

Respected Contributor

On 10/26/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 10/26/2014 HappyDaze said:
On 10/26/2014 RoughDraft said:

I've never tasted feet, but I love a good cup of coffee.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I agree with a few others, that you're really not a coffee drinker at heart and if you are determined to become one, only you can decide on a favorite after sampling what's out there. I like mine strong, with just a dash of cream and a little sweetener. My favorite coffee is Hawaiian Kona, if you can find it.

I love organic Hawaiian Kona! I love dark, bold coffee in general but am pretty picky with taste and these days I am opting for decaf as much as possible. I drink mine black most of the time, occasionally a splash of real cream but mostly just black.

Have any of you tried a french press for coffee? I think I want to try one. There is a brand that gets great reviews that I might buy.

HD, I recall that there were some studies that linked French Press coffee with high cholesterol, but I don't remember the details. My husband has to control his, so in our drip coffeemaker we use a paper filter, not one the gold filter, to filter out the culprit.

Oh, here is that info, from the Harvard School of Public Health:

Is drinking coffee made with a paper filter healthier than drinking boiled coffee or other types of coffee?

Coffee contains a substance called cafestol that is a potent stimulator of LDL cholesterol levels. Cafestol is found in the oily fraction of coffee, and when you brew coffee with a paper filter, the cafestol gets left behind in the filter. Other methods of coffee preparation, such as the boiled coffee common in Scandinavian countries, French press coffee, or Turkish coffee, are much higher in cafestol. So for people who have high cholesterol levels or who want to prevent having high cholesterol levels, it is better to choose paper filtered coffee or instant coffee, since they have much lower levels of cafestol than boiled or French press coffee. Espresso is somewhere in the middle; it has less cafestol than boiled or French press coffee, but more than paper filtered coffee.

Oh not good news! My favorite coffee is from my French Press. I only use it on weekends and sometimes not even then due to time but, aw geez. I, too, do not like sweet or flavored coffee drinks. I like the taste of good coffee - black. I haven't used a drip machine in ages. Either the press or the quick Keurig my DH bought me as a gift. Neither of which have a paper filter.
Frequent Contributor

I agree with some that the tried and true, Folgers Dark Roast, Hawaiian Kona, and Yuban are great. I like my coffee with a little cream and 1 pkt of Stevia.

My current favorite is Costco's Kirkland Dark Roast. We have gone through two Keurigs, and gone back to a regular GE Electric Percolator. We think that really brings out the flavor.