Honored Contributor

Re: Why Can't I Find A Good Foundaton

@Shanus wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I wish I had a Sephora and Nordstrom near me to try out some foundations. I do have an Ulta, but my store isn't very good and the salespeople are not helpful at all. 

@Jordan2  Any dept. store that sells various makeup lines can help you. I don’t find any individual help useful that I’ve received from ULTA or Sephora. Most of their sales people have no training. They just know where the products are located in the store. Some, who are makeup artists, are loyal to one or two brands & those who work on commission will steer you to the most expensive products. 

I had decided I wanted to try a particular foundation and tried one of the online color matchers before going into a store.  We have a mini Sephora.  They have one of those machines they put up to your face to color-match you, but either the girl didn't know how to use it properly or it needed to be recalibrated or something as it indicated a shade she immediately knew was too dark.  But, she also didn't know what shade to try.  She called over the more expert salesperson who just looked at me (I had no makeup on) and called out the exact same shade as the online color matcher had suggested.  They did give me a very small sample to take home to try.

The foundation I was looking at was NARS Sheer Glow in Mont Blanc.  It is the most perfect match to my skintone.  Every shopping channel foundation I have ever bought is obviously yellow going on.  I'd like to say it's my holy grail, but I feel like it kinda emphasizes some of the fine lines on my face, specifically around the mouth area.

I do like the finish of the Doll 10 foundations, both Hydra Luxe and Hydra Gel.  Hydra Lux is difficult for me to apply because it dries too fast so I have to mix something with it to apply.  The Hydra Gel is a much thicker formula, but it goes on well for me.  However, like all the other foundations, the Doll 10 ones are also yellow-based.  

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

You know how they can match your color of paint when you go to a paint store?? Why can't someone do this for foundation??!! 

@SilleeMee  They did have that service at Sephora, but not sure if they still have it. They’d plug in your coloring, formulation & coverage preference and get suggestions of various brands....it’s still trial and error. 

Honored Contributor

@Maggie Nolia wrote:

Have you tried Clinique Even Better foundation?

@Maggie Nolia, I did try a Clinique liquid foundation a few years back, don’t remember which one. I didn’t think too much of it.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

You know how they can match your color of paint when you go to a paint store?? Why can't someone do this for foundation??!! 

@SilleeMee  They did have that service at Sephora, but not sure if they still have it. They’d plug in your coloring, formulation & coverage preference and get suggestions of various brands....it’s still trial and error. 

They still have that service. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I'm the OP and am using a foundation from my stash I really like ( not sure if it's my Holy Grail). It's Urban Decay Naked Skin in shade1.5. It's a thin liquid, you don't have to use much and it feels like nothing on my skin. I usually get fair colors in any foundation ( I am fair with cool tones and burn easily) I think the color is good for me.