Honored Contributor

Re: Why Can't I Find A Good Foundaton

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2

I ordered samples of Cle de Peau from eBay. They were sealed. One combo is “fair” “almond” and “beige”

Although this is a concealer, I am using it as foundation. I dab on problem areas and by then, it’s no trouble to just blend it together.

This stuff melds with one’s skin.

it heals my cystic acne

my skin looks satiny

i ordered it in ivory from Nordstrom. It is spendy , but 

really, I am tired of messing with the whole thing!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

@Jordan2I didn't realize that.  I read on a different thread that you can also go into a BM store (if you have one nearby) and they can do it for you.

@Linmo, unfortunately I don't have a BM store near me. My Macys sells BM, maybe at some point it will be available there or maybe even Ulta.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I wish I had a Sephora and Nordstrom near me to try out some foundations. I do have an Ulta, but my store isn't very good and the salespeople are not helpful at all. 

@Jordan2  Any dept. store that sells various makeup lines can help you. I don’t find any individual help useful that I’ve received from ULTA or Sephora. Most of their sales people have no training. They just know where the products are located in the store. Some, who are makeup artists, are loyal to one or two brands & those who work on commission will steer you to the most expensive products. 

Valued Contributor

Have you tried Clinique Even Better foundation?

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

What @Shanus said. You need a department store person to assist you. A lot of foundations that are liquid have either sunscreen or moisturizer. That might be making you look dewy. You may want to consider a matte finish or even a powder foundation. 

After sampling the foundation chosen, ask for a sample for home if liquid. Many times foundations oxidize or the MU person has chosen the incorrect color for you. Going out in natural sunlight will quickly tell you if you have the right color on. 

Keep in mind, during warmer months, if outside frequently, you may have to adjust your foundation to another color fo blend better with your tan.

@JustJazzmom  ITA. There are many factors to consider when purchasing foundation: color, formula (liquid, powder, etc.), finish (dewy, matte) & the amount of coverage you prefer. There are tinted moisturizers all the way to full coverage. Foundations that are “long wear” are usually drier, less oil so they last throughout the day.  

Always ask for samples and as intimidating as it seems, allow the mua to remove your makeup around jawline to actually match your shade to where you will be wearing it. If they begin to test on your wrist/hand, run don’t walk to another counter. When in doubt between 2 shades, go lighter. You can always use a touch of bronzer or blush. A too dark foundation will look muddy. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Linmo wrote:

@Jordan2I didn't realize that.  I read on a different thread that you can also go into a BM store (if you have one nearby) and they can do it for you.

@Linmo, unfortunately I don't have a BM store near me. My Macys sells BM, maybe at some point it will be available there or maybe even Ulta.

I thought BM stood for Brick & Mortar.  I'm not familiar with a BM store.

Honored Contributor

I agree with @SilleeMee.  A face primer as a barrier between the skin and product should work.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Linmo wrote:

I thought BM stood for Brick & Mortar.  I'm not familiar with a BM store.

BM is a Bare Minerals store. Some of the larger malls have this as a stand alone store instead of in either a Sephora, Ulta or department store.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I am a natural redhead and have always been fair.When  my hair turned white I became even more fair. I was having some difficulty finding a good foundation shade until I tried L'Oreal true match foundation.I first tried the cool colors - too pink, the warms  are way too yellow but the neutral shades are just perfect for me. I ended up wearing the N2 which I thought would be too light but it's my perfect shade. 

Give it a try- you may be pleasantly surprised to find your perfect foundation at the drug store.

@151949  When in doubt, neutral is always the preferred choice.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Maybe try using a primer. The problem may not be your foundation, but rather what is under it.

@SilleeMee  IMO, it’s almost as impossible to find the best primer as it as a good foundation and concealer. It has to “play well” w/ your moisturizer underneath & the foundation on top. They sometimes have silicone causing slip or they pill, etc. 

If foundation seems too oily or too dry, try a different moisturizer instead.