Super Contributor

Which type of home hair coloring do you think works best?

...especially for covering grays.

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Which type of home hair coloring do you think works best?

Right now I'm using Revlon ColorSilk Buttercream formula and I like it. Before that, I used L'Oreal Preference for years and it did a great job with my grays. I really liked the comb applicator that came with it.

You may also want to go to Sally Beauty and check out the Ion Color line they have. You have to buy everything separately - color, developer, gloves, applicators - but it's a step above drugstore boxed colors.

New Contributor

I just read an article about esalon.com. They ask you about your your hair type and what your coloring needs are such as how much gray and how often as we'll as how your hair takes color. Then they mix salon grade color for you and ship it directly to you with detailed instructions tailored to your specific needs. There are online stylists to help if you have questions. They have great reviews and are people are saying they are going to put coloring salons out of business as well as the grocery store brands. It sells for $25 for a one time bottle but they have a special deal for your first time --it's half off -- so $10 and if you do an auto delivery, it's $20. A much nicer price than a trip to the salon. I'm thinking of trying it because the grocery store brands are just so harsh on my thin hair.
Respected Contributor

For the last two months I have taken a break from years of salon coloring and done my own. Now, I only do my roots but I bought Age Defying Color by Clairol and like it a lot. The weekly conditioner that comes with it is great too.
Super Contributor

When I did my own color, I always used Nice & Easy from Clairol. I always got compliments on my color (even from my hair stylist!). Not sure what color you use, but I think they have the best blonde colors of all the drugstore brands--always very natural looking and not brassy.

Honored Contributor

On 4/2/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

You may also want to go to Sally Beauty and check out the Ion Color line they have. You have to buy everything separately - color, developer, gloves, applicators - but it's a step above drugstore boxed colors.

I haven't colored my hair in years but, before I stopped, I was using the Ion line. You can mix colors and it feels like you have a little more control of the process.

I've also heard good things about some of the Garnier products.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor

Hi Glitzandglam,

I have been coloring my own hair for years now. I was once told Loreal products cover gray hair the best and that is what I have been using. It does a great job. They always seem to be improving beauty products, so maybe another brand works just as good.

I have been using a 2-step Loreal product that you first put all over color, then highlights. It looks great. (When it comes to the highlights, less is more.)

For the grays that grow in on my part-line, I buy a matching color (Sally's) and only do my part line. Will save you $$ and so much time.

Keep us posted and good Luck,

asltw

Honored Contributor

I am 100% grey, been using Revlon Colorsilk for last 17 years, gentle, no ammonia, permanent, and cheap!!!

Valued Contributor

On 4/2/2014 bobbybear said: I just read an article about esalon.com. They ask you about your your hair type and what your coloring needs are such as how much gray and how often as we'll as how your hair takes color. Then they mix salon grade color for you and ship it directly to you with detailed instructions tailored to your specific needs. There are online stylists to help if you have questions. They have great reviews and are people are saying they are going to put coloring salons out of business as well as the grocery store brands. It sells for $25 for a one time bottle but they have a special deal for your first time --it's half off -- so $10 and if you do an auto delivery, it's $20. A much nicer price than a trip to the salon. I'm thinking of trying it because the grocery store brands are just so harsh on my thin hair.

I just used my first order of eSalon color last week and am very pleased with the results. Their service is very personal and you can tweak the color to exactly what you're looking for. My kit came with one bottle (with a specific color mixture) for roots that stays on for 15 minutes and another bottle (called a gloss) that goes over everything for 10 minutes. You get a pamphlet stating exactly the color ratio in each bottle, so if you want to make anything more intense (or not) you can ask for exactly what you want in your next order.

Super Contributor

I feel lucky that my hair is coming in white rather than gray. Same thing happened to my mother.

I opted NOT to cover the white and then have to deal with white root touch-ups. My choice was to lighten the rest of my hair slightly to camouflage the white.

I have light brown hair and use Feria #91 - it's a champagne/beige blonde. It lightens the brown to beige blonde and darkens the white slightly to a lighter tone of the same color. It gives a natural streaked effect. New mixed growth is barely noticeable. I redo color about every 8 week. When I'm all white - I'll stop coloring.

Guy who cuts my hair loves the color.