Trusted Contributor

Re: When changing beauty brands...........

@Daysdee wrote:

Do you finiish one brand before moving on?  Toss the old and on with the new?  Combine different brands and use up everything?     I have too many brands where I have almost their entire line from face wash to day cream, night cream, etc.  My stash is getting to be a problem.    Hate to toss good products.  Charities, etc. will not take anything that isn't sealed.

I've tried different brands over the years, but have found myself going back to some of the brands that have worked for me from earlier years. 

I'm just trying to use different formulas in those brands. 

For example, I'm finding that as I'm getting older or as the seasons change, I may need to switch to a product for more drier skin, as opposed to more oily or combination skin.

I also have sensitive skin, so I find that products that have more basic or less active ingredients and less natural or less botanicals in them, happen to be better for my skin too, and less irritating. 

I'll mix products from different brands, too.

I may use a moisturizer from one brand, and a cleanser from another, for example.

Honored Contributor

For foundations, I usually offered them to nieces / sister to try before I tossed them. For eye shadows and blushes, I just crush them into a powder and add it to the jar of rejects. Mixed together gives me a really good color blend.

Lotions etc - I offer as above or toss.
Honored Contributor

I never stick to one brand of anything.  Maybe that's not a good idea??  The only time I ever did that was years ago when I used Clinique.  Clinique is a great line but I stopped using it years ago when I was wanting to try different things.  Now, I don't seem to be able to find one line which satisfies all my needs and wants.  I don't get rid of things when I try something new.  I often go back to things because the new things just aren't working.  I'm always looking for something that will work better.  If I am ever truly happy with a product, then I guess I would throw the other stuff out!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Daysdee  - when trying out a new product, I try to finish the product up unless it's just irritating my sensitive skin. 

I know what you mean about not wanting to toss out products that you've spent good money.  Perhaps you can shop your stash and make a commitment to use each product until it's gone.  Either that or get rid of what you have, cut your losses, and do better going forward.

Respected Contributor

When I find a good buy on something I will buy even if I don't need it at the time. However, I use whatever is open first before starting another product.