Respected Contributor

Re: When changing beauty brands...........

Like others have said,  I introduce individual pieces but am not loyal to any one brand.  I'm currently using a few.  I'll use something in the AM for a week or more and have another routine for the PM.   Sometimes I swich off if my skin is needing something different or at a different time of the year.  

I'm currently using products from Josie Maran, Isomers (not that thrilled about this line so far), Tatcha (rice powder), PTR (Retinol), FAB,  and have products from Dr. P, Skinn, etc,  that are currently on hold!   I also have some wonderful oil that I will often add or use on my body from Skinn, Josie Maran, Joyce Giraud and Perlier.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I try something and like it better, I toss the item that doesn’t work as well.  

I used to be really strict about using up the last drop of EVERYTHING.  But as I have gotten older, I realize that it is important to enjoy and use what we love.  

I had several (quite expensive) eyeshadow palettes that I recently decluttered, because I felt they simply did not suit me as well as some of the others that I had.  I never wanted to reach for them, and when I did, I didn’t like the “look” I was getting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have switched out my skincare and tried completely new lines a few times in my 50+ years searching for products that would clear up my acne. No more need to do that since Paula’s Choice BHA helps with those issues. 

Unless I am having an allergic reaction to a product or really hate something, I usually use things up before trying other things. I have thrown a few products out and repurposed some for other uses. Just depends on the product. I used up my Wen as shaving cream since I didn’t like it for my hair. 

I currently use a variety of brands for skincare & makeup. I use what works for me. I get frustrated when a product is discontinued, and I have to find something else I like as well. 

Esteemed Contributor

Ever since I was young, I've never bought a new makeup or skin care product until the old product was empty.  Just a habit.  Unless a product gives me a rash or breaks me out, I use it until it's gone.  Then buy a replacement.   So I've never had a stash, and have never bought an entire 'line' of one brand.  I have my favorite products, both makeup and skin care, from different brands.   Probably doesn't answer your question.............

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I try everything and find very few products I like that actually make a difference for my skin. I have used expensive face serums on my hands to use it up, same with expensive firming and moisturizing creams. I don't throw anything away, unless I really hate it and it's too late to return it.

Honored Contributor

The brands I am currently using:

Fresh - for moisturizer (Rose Hydrating); for fragrance Life and Citron de Vigne

Botanics - a less expensive brand of moisturizer but still very nice which I buy at Target.  I have the moisturizer for day w/rosehip oil and also day moisturizer with SPF; facial exfoliator.

Tarte - Maracuja oil

BWC - herbal creme facial wash

Pop Sonic - Leaflet

Cat Very HappyHeart

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I’ve never been someone who only uses one brand of skincare or makeup. My goal is to always look for fragrance free products that I use on my face.

I do have all of my makeup and color cosmetics inventoried and in the past year I also batch coded nearly all of my current inventory using checkfresh.com or checkcosmetic.net.

Where I couldn’t find info or guess about a batch code, I would google when the oldest reviews were on an item or a kit. 

Knowing how old some of my makeup was made it easier to either choose to use it or declutter it after looking at when it was made, when I bought it, and what is the PAO or period after opening, and when does the item expire.

I notice that in Canada new makeup releases could still have inventory made 6 months to a year before it hit the shelves. I also noticed that some retailers were slow to change over or sell inventory too. And makeup and skincare from Winners and T.J. Maxx and Marshalls is at least 1 to 2 years old generally when it’s in the stores aka it was manufactured in 2017/18.

Esteemed Contributor

Blame it on my fascination with ingredients and what they can do for the skin! So, I do like to try new things. I haven't even scratched the surface!

But, like @blackhole99 , there are few things that have actually made a difference. May be because my skin is at optimum, and nothing needs to be addressed. Anyway, I've never had a reaction from a product.

If I do happen upon something, the "old" gets pushed back and I use the new favorite. More times than not, I end up throwing out the former, and stick with the current favorites.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I try to stay within one line of skincare. My thinking is that the products have been formulated to work well together without any reactions or duplications. 

In some skincare lines, 4 choices of moisturizes or serums or toners gets confusing. It's made worse when using various products from different skincare. The active ingredients can interact with each other, not in a good way. 

The changes I make within my skincare line are to go up in strength in a serum, for example, add an acid toner to my cleansing routine and I recently purchased another Vit. C serum (another line) than my Skinceuticals only because I couldn't justify the $165 price. I'm using them alternate days until I use up the expensive one. 

***It's difficult to tell if a skincare product or line is working for you unless given a 6-8 wk. trial period. If you're switching around, it's almost impossible to know what's giving you the best results. There's also the chance of active ingredients interacting with eachother causing issues like redness, irritation or blackheads if moisturizers are too heavy, rich. 

Trusted Contributor

i changed from purity made simple.. back to clinique.. i feel line puriry did nothing for me.. but i do love there microdelivery exfoliator.. i do love clinique..i got their soap, clairfying  lotion and moisturizer all the huge sizes off there site during a big sale all for less than 50.00...