Respected Contributor

Re: What's your favorite retinol night cream?

I see the retinol is way down on ingredients on the roc, and the Alpha ...yet you ladies like it.   Thats interesting, while some products claim the higher retinol is more effective.   

Honored Contributor

@Dazlinwrote:

I see the retinol is way down on ingredients on the roc, and the Alpha ...yet you ladies like it.   Thats interesting, while some products claim the higher retinol is more effective.   

I agree with you, @Dazlin.  The way ingredients are listed is from the highest amount to the to the lowest.  At least the Alpha has it around the middleof the list.  ROC has it lower.  If it's past the middle of the list, I wouldn't think it would be that powerful.  For this reason, I prefer a separate serum (Mad Hippie Vitamin A) rather than retinol mixed in with my moisturizer.  

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinchwrote:

@Dazlinwrote:

I agree with you, @Dazlin.  The way ingredients are listed is from the highest amount to the to the lowest.  At least the Alpha has it around the middleof the list.  ROC has it lower.  If it's past the middle of the list, I wouldn't think it would be that powerful.  For this reason, I prefer a separate serum (Mad Hippie Vitamin A) rather than retinol mixed in with my moisturizer.  

Oh...great idea!!   Thanks sooo  much!!   I've used some Mad Hippie, and never thought to look into their retinol .  Although, I asked about a night cream ...mainly for the added moisturization ,with a retinol, I see most barely contain any worthwhile .   I did like Consult Beaute Regenerol cream, but it had packaging issues, and just not worth the price considering this issue . I have the Regenerol serum 3%...thats why I asked about creams with retinol.

So..do you use a night cream with any Retinol?

Anyone like S SC night force??,  has retinol.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlinwrote:

@JeanLouiseFinchwrote:

@Dazlinwrote:

Oh...great idea!!   Thanks sooo  much!!   I've used some Mad Hippie, and never thought to look into their retinol .  Although, I asked about a night cream ...mainly for the added moisturization ,with a retinol, I see most barely contain any worthwhile .   I did like Consult Beaute Regenerol cream, but it had packaging issues, and just not worth the price considering this issue . I have the Regenerol serum 3%...thats why I asked about creams with retinol.

So..do you use a night cream with any Retinol?

Anyone like S SC night force??,  has retinol.  

@Dazlin  I don't use a separate night cream with retinol.  In fact, it was only about 4 mos. ago, that I ever even considered retinol at all.  Before that, I always thought retinol was too weak to do anything because of the metabolic converstion steps it has to go through to be received by the skin, taking an already weak form of a retinoid and weakening it even more with each step.  The Mad Hippie Vitamin A is ready as is and doesn't require any conversion steps.  You can read about it on the MH site.  I began using it in January and have it on an auto delivery plan through Vitacost (better price than the MH site).  

The night cream I use is Skinn Pep 40.  It has a heavy peptide load (40%) and I love it!

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Makeup Artists Choice (.com) Retinol Night Masque is the only retinol that does not make my skin look over-processed.  It uses a different form of retinol than I have seen in any other retinol product.

With most retinol products, I feel as if I need moisturizer on top, but not with this one, and I do notice a difference with it.  I use it every other night or every couple of nights.  (For reference, I am 62 years old.)

You can get samples relatively inexpensively, and they are generous enough to really test them.

If you sign up for email notices, you will only get them when there is a sale.  Otherwise, check the menu for the daily deal, which is usually 20%.  The codes usually work for samples, too.

Esteemed Contributor

This is from ncbi:

"...repeated topical application of a preparation containing both retinol and vitamin C [emphasis, mine] could reverse, at least in part, skin changes induced by both chronological and photoaging."

-- study from 2005

My point is not to say anything either negative or positive about the other retinols (&/or derivatives) anyone else is using...just to say that the Alpha retinol continues to give my skin great results! I tried at least 4 others (if not more), at supposedly the same or different strengths. Me? I only want a low percentage. Alpha is .15%.

Also, my point is not to argue for the Alpha product. You asked what we liked, and so I responded.

p.s. The Jan Marini retinol seems like a richer formulation, if that is what you are looking for.

Respected Contributor

@Harpawrote:

This is from ncbi:

"...repeated topical application of a preparation containing both retinol and vitamin C [emphasis, mine] could reverse, at least in part, skin changes induced by both chronological and photoaging."

-- study from 2005

My point is not to say anything either negative or positive about the other retinols (&/or derivatives) anyone else is using...just to say that the Alpha retinol continues to give my skin great results! I tried at least 4 others (if not more), at supposedly the same or different strengths. Me? I only want a low percentage. Alpha is .15%.

Also, my point is not to argue for the Alpha product. You asked what we liked, and so I responded.

p.s. The Jan Marini retinol seems like a richer formulation, if that is what you are looking for.

Yes, exactly...I found it good to know that the lower percentage works nicely for many.  

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for your replies!!

Esteemed Contributor

Just want to add my 2 cents.....  I believe that using a low-dose retinol consistently every single day has more benefits than using a strong Retin-A or high-dose retinol that makes our skin red, rashy, and maybe peel (gasp!) so that a person can only use the high-dose once or twice a week.  (Like the tortoise and the hare:  slow and steady wins the race)

I started with a Retin-A decades ago.  My skin would peel and be red and painful.  I'd have to let my face "rest" for a week or so before I could use it again.  I wondered how could a product that gave me a rash be good for my skin?  I switched to a low-dose retinol (Alpha Hydrox) and there was no redness or rash - just eventual improvement.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

@tototwowrote:

Just want to add my 2 cents.....  I believe that using a low-dose retinol consistently every single day has more benefits than using a strong Retin-A or high-dose retinol that makes our skin red, rashy, and maybe peel (gasp!) so that a person can only use the high-dose once or twice a week.  (Like the tortoise and the hare:  slow and steady wins the race)

I started with a Retin-A decades ago.  My skin would peel and be red and painful.  I'd have to let my face "rest" for a week or so before I could use it again.  I wondered how could a product that gave me a rash be good for my skin?  I switched to a low-dose retinol (Alpha Hydrox) and there was no redness or rash - just eventual improvement.

(Last time I'm chiming in here...)

@tototwo

Not just 2 cents, but a lot of common sense!!