Frequent Contributor

I have been reading various posts about how bad customer service is through Guthry-Renker, the auto-delivery nightmares, possible different formulas, etc. I don't plan on ever ordering through them.

This is just a minor cosmetic question really. Do the products from Wen.com come in glass or different-shaped bottles? Based on the (heavily photoshopped) pictures, they look like glass whereas the QVC ones tend to be in plastic.

Sorry in advance to the experts for posting a dumb question.

Super Contributor

I have never purchased from GR but I have heard bad things about them, impossible to stop the shipments etc. I think the product is about the same, maybe a few small differences. I have purchased from the Chaz Dean site and they are wonderful. Far less packaging than QVC, but much more expensive. Nothing beats the right QVC TSV on AD!

Honored Contributor
I bought the SMC last year from Wen and the products were exactly as those QVC sells. It was the CC, oil, and rtm.
Contributor

I have purchased from Sephora, who sells the GR version of Wen and there are only a few minor differences (I also purchased an old seasonal I wanted to try off Ebay and the GR version came). The bottle is still made from plastic, but it's a darker brown and the label wraps all the way around- makes it a little hard to gauge how much Wen is left in your bottle. The bottle is also taller and thinner- I actually find it easier to get the last little bit of CC out of the GR bottles. Also, I've noticed that the GR versions seem to have more menthol (at least the SAM, this is the only kind I have both QVC and Wen to compare). For me this is a good thing, but I know some worry about the menthol. I ordered a different product from GR a year or so ago and didn't have any issues cancelling after my first shipment.

Respected Contributor

1. The ingredients are different with GR Wen products because of the GR international presence and requirements. GR is sold internationally. Sephora does sell the GR version and has a very limited Wen product line. Not all Sephora stores sell Wen.

2. QVC and Chaz Dean Studio products are identical products. GR ingredients are different. Chaz uses his version of Wen....which is the QVC version, too!

3. I should clarify that QVC is the same version as the Chaz Dean Studio except for the price. QVC sells the product at lower prices and QVC has featured prices, OTOs and TSVs....prices that are hard to beat.....and some are pretty spectacular.

4. The GR labels are different than QVC and Chaz Dean Studio.

5. Gunthy Ranker does not have all the seasonals nor does it have BGT. It doesn't have all the newer products and the SC is in a tube not a plastic container with pump. GR doesn't have the body lotion, no Body Cleansing Conditioner and no Canine Version of Wen.

6. QVC has better customer service. Call the Chaz Dean studio and ask them if more people complain about issues with GR or QVC.

7. QVC doesn't require you to enter into a contract. You can buy once and not again. Nothing will be shipped to you unless you set that up yourself. You can go online and cancel. You can even reinstate items that you cancelled. You can return your product with no issue within 30 days. Seems as if this would be a big issue with GR.

8. GR customer service doesn't know about Wen. I called twice because my girlfriend almost purchased from them. I was told to use SAM the first time. The second time, I was told to use Lavender. I have dry, wavy, curly hair that screams Fig. SAM is very drying for me. I am not interested in Lavender because my hair has more body than it needs. My issue is controlling my hair. When I asked for Fig, I was told that Fig was not an option. If I purchased a scent that was not best for my hair, I would have a very good reason to say, Wen is not a good product for me.

With these difference (and there are more) why would you not purchase from QVC? I want the product that Chaz uses on his hair and not some product produced for international distribution. I don't want a company requiring me to join some club whereby they can send me a limited product variety on their timetable and when I want to stop it, there is a very high probability that I will have difficulty.

I do not work for QVC nor do I gain anything from these comments.

Esteemed Contributor

Wen.com (Guthy Renker) is awesome! They are my primary source for my Wen products!

The cleansing conditioners are in a plastic bottle with different labels. I prefer their smaller labels because I can see how much Wen I have left in the bottle. The ingredients are different but the function and end results of the CCs are identical. ReMoist is a different product between both companies. I like the GR version because it makes my hair softer.

Members get better pricing, great customer service and free shipping for life. They are also very liberal with the samples.

Customer service goes out of their way to keep their customers happy. When you sign up for the introductory kit, you agree to auto-delivery and easy pay. You can't put your order through without agreeing to those terms. Cancellation is easy through CS or the automated system. The people who complain about Wen.com ignore that part.

Customer Service is also very knowledgeable about Wen products, uses and techniques.

Wen.com has all the seasonals and core formulas except for BGT (which is why QVC increased the price). I wish they carried the oils. I make that request frequently.

Wen.com is my primary source for Wen for a reason and I am more than happy with them!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor
On 6/25/2014 Tissyanne said: I bought the SMC last year from Wen and the products were exactly as those QVC sells. It was the CC, oil, and rtm.

GR doesn't sell any oils or kits with oils.

Esteemed Contributor
On 6/26/2014 DogLvr said:

1. The ingredients are different with GR Wen products because of the GR international presence and requirements. GR is sold internationally. Sephora does sell the GR version and has a very limited Wen product line. Not all Sephora stores sell Wen.

And Chaz has the ultimate approval of Wen ingredients, processes and product line.

2. QVC and Chaz Dean Studio products are identical products. GR ingredients are different. Chaz uses his version of Wen....which is the QVC version, too!

It doesn't make a difference to me, but how do you know this?

3. I should clarify that QVC is the same version as the Chaz Dean Studio except for the price. QVC sells the product at lower prices and QVC has featured prices, OTOs and TSVs....prices that are hard to beat.....and some are pretty spectacular.

QVC does not offer lower prices over GR; not even in the OTOs or TSVs.

4. The GR labels are different than QVC and Chaz Dean Studio.

The GR labels are smaller. You can see what's in your bottle. The QVC labels wrap the bottle.

5. Gunthy Ranker does not have all the seasonals nor does it have BGT. It doesn't have all the newer products and the SC is in a tube not a plastic container with pump. GR doesn't have the body lotion, no Body Cleansing Conditioner and no Canine Version of Wen.

GR has all of the seasonals and cores formulas except for BGT. They sell ReMoist, but they sell some items that QVC doesn't offer.

6. QVC has better customer service. Call the Chaz Dean studio and ask them if more people complain about issues with GR or QVC.

I know first hand that GR has awesome customer service.

7. QVC doesn't require you to enter into a contract. You can buy once and not again. Nothing will be shipped to you unless you set that up yourself. You can go online and cancel. You can even reinstate items that you cancelled. You can return your product with no issue within 30 days. Seems as if this would be a big issue with GR.

You do the exact same thing to stop the GR auto deliveries. It's a simple phone call.

8. GR customer service doesn't know about Wen. I called twice because my girlfriend almost purchased from them. I was told to use SAM the first time. The second time, I was told to use Lavender. I have dry, wavy, curly hair that screams Fig. SAM is very drying for me. I am not interested in Lavender because my hair has more body than it needs. My issue is controlling my hair. When I asked for Fig, I was told that Fig was not an option. If I purchased a scent that was not best for my hair, I would have a very good reason to say, Wen is not a good product for me.

You aren't a GR member, so they gave you the general information that everyone gets; including the information that QVC would give you. It's a script. To members, their information is on target.

They are also very liberal with the samples. When did you get a sample from QVC?

You know as well as I do that Wen is trial and error.

With these difference (and there are more) why would you not purchase from QVC? I want the product that Chaz uses on his hair and not some product produced for international distribution. I don't want a company requiring me to join some club whereby they can send me a limited product variety on their timetable and when I want to stop it, there is a very high probability that I will have difficulty.

Again, your information is wrong. First, are you forgetting that QVC has AD and EP? Second, while GR requires members to have AD and EP, the member sets the delivery schedule as well as the number of items. Again, cancelling is just a matter of picking up a phone.

I do not work for QVC nor do I gain anything from these comments.

Respected Contributor
It's pretty common knowledge that the salon and Q versions of WEN are one in the same. Also from buying both. Chaz has stated his story about re formulating WEN personally for the international market due to customs restrictions for Guthy Renker to distribute. The GR versions are less expensive because they are more cheaply made. That is not to say they don't work. They do. I've used them. However, they contain in most or all cases fewer of the botanicals and "good stuff" we like. Even when the ingredients are closer, the "good stuff" is in lesser quantity. You can compare the bottles and see this. Guthy Renker also has worldwide distribution so they don't have to charge as much do to volume. More people in the world are using the GR Wen than are using the salon/Q version and it is taking off worldwide.
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Respected Contributor
On 6/26/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Wen.com has all the seasonals and core formulas except for BGT (which is why QVC increased the price). I wish they carried the oils. I make that request frequently.

Bold claim