Valued Contributor

Re: Wearing Scents and Perfumes That Could Offend?

I love the scents of some hand or body creams like Jergens. They don't last on me though.  What I dislike is when some heavily scented person gives you a hug and you wear their scent for several hours.Woman Tongue

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It depends on my mood.  Sometimes I will only wear lotion after I shower when going to the doctor's office and other times I do wear fragrance.  When I was working, I kept my fragrances light not to offend anyone.  However, people with allergies need to take their medicine and cannot expect the world to revolve around them.  Of course, if there is a sign stating no fragrance, I will honor it.  I have a few different fragrances to rotate and wear.  Cat HappyHeart

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I gave up wearing perfume.  I used to sit next to a lady in choir who would have coughing fits due to fragrances, so I quit wearing it.  Sadly, another lady refused to quit wearing hers, so my friend left the choir and found a new church.  Sure, there was more to her finding a different church, but it was the reason she left the choir.

@Icegoddess

I have asthma, and I sing in my choir. The choir director has asked choir members to avoid wearing fragrances. After the reminder, it gets better. Then, I guess, they forget. The last few weeks l have been noticing strong scents again. I try to avoid standing and sitting next to the women wearing it, but that isn’t always possible and doesn’t always help that much. Guess it's time for another reminder. 

Respected Contributor

I am highly allergic but thankfully I can say I am not bothered that much by other's perfumes.  I probably would be if I had to stand right beside them say for a choir like the last poster.  I can tolerate only a few scents myself and I only wear these lightly for special occasions.

My biggest problem comes at work (a school setting) from those dreaded plug in air freshners some teachers put in their classrooms.  These things are toxic to me and I can only imagine how bad they are for some of the children.  It is more than I don't like the smell, it makes me physically sick. 

I was at a training once and kept feeling my throat close up- yes, it was worse than a plug in, something that kept spraying horrid smells in the air.  Many scented candles are just as bad.    

Honored Contributor

@Roni18

One day all those scented products - perfumes, air fresheners, etc. will not be allowed in public places. Kind of like smoking. 

Regular Contributor

@SilleeMee Smiley Very Happy  Yeah that's the kind of scent that we use on our partners when we don't want anybody near them.  

Respected Contributor

i think that places like doctors offices ect. that post signs, as to no fragrance, when patients show up reeking, they should tell them, they can't be seen today. sorry. 

on another note, my friend, used to only spray her purfume in her hair, which she only washed once a week. 

she liked to do that, because it lasted longer. gag.  

Respected Contributor

I respect others and never wear scent outside my own home.  Too many people think they are using "just a bit" and have gotten so used to the scent they have no idea how strong the scent is.  There are lots of folks with allergies, and asthma so I'm very thoughtful of them.  Dr's office, hospital, gym all have signs saying NO to any scents.

Respected Contributor

Cheapy synthetic scents (think Bath and Body Works) and super sweet scents (think Clinique Happy) give me a headache. 

Nothing worse than being seated at a restaurant, walking into yoga, being seated at a play and having to deal with someone’s obnoxious perfume 

Esteemed Contributor

@scatcat - I had this exact thing happen to me at the movies a couple of weeks ago. And, of course the movie was packed. 

There was an empty seat on the other side of my friend so I hopped into that seat.