Respected Contributor

Wearing Scents and Perfumes That Could Offend?

I have loved fragrances for many years and have a collection. I like to change with the seasons and enjoy a range and variety. I find I am wearing  it less as do not want to offend or trigger allergies. My cousin's  wife hates smells and I buy her nonscented products like Berkman Pure. There is a sign in the building I go to do yoga requesting no fragrances in the building.  No scents on yoga days.I walk through a fitness,therapy  area. What are your experiences? I had a BF that would sneeze  and told me not to wear any although Amazing Grace did not bother him and he never mentioned it. Who knows what  reacts and who could have a reaction or dislike ? I enjoyed most co workers telling me I smelled nice or asked what I was wearing? Not wearing it to church functions any more either.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wearing Scents and Perfumes That Could Offend?

I have basically stopped wearing fragrances for just that reason.  At work a man I worked with had allergies; a doctor's office I went to had signs up.  More and More I'm seeing that.  Not that I won't wear a light non-floral every now and again, though.

Honored Contributor

I love scented products and I will never stop using them but I use good judgement and I don't over do it.  Years ago, my sister used The Avon scent Timeless and for some reason, I hated it.  It was heavy and spicy and I couldn't bear bearing around it.  She thought it was funny and wouldn't even consider not using it when we were together.  So, I know it's like to be around a scent someone hates.  If someone told me they didn't like a particular scent, I wouldn't use it when I was around that person.  Generally, I don't use colognes and sprays anymore.  I do use scented shower gels and body lotions.  I don't go anywhere that expressly forbids scented products but if one did, I'd comply.  Our office only asks that we refrain from applying them in the common areas and in the ladies's rooms.  

Honored Contributor

One day I was in line at the grocery store and I kept getting a very strong whiff of bacon...like someone was frying it right there next to me but obviously that wasn't happening. Finally I asked the man in front of me if he smelled bacon too. He replied with a big grin on his face and said something like "Oh, you must be smelling the new cologne my wife bought for me"...I was speechless.Woman Indifferent

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Times have really changed.  When I go to a pool for warm water therapy, no scents are allowed.  I would never wear scents for any medical or professional appointments.  For days when running errands, I might put on a spray of a very light scent and that’s it.  So many in my family have bad reactions to scented candles I purchase only “soy” scented candles to burn (at good prices from TJ Max or Home Goods).  This is the new normal.  

Esteemed Contributor

It's often not the scent, it's how much it's applied.

I work with women who believe everyone should enjoy their fragrance as much as they do. When someone leaves my office I can smell it for hours after they're gone.

I'm a less is more girl. After scented shower gel, shampoo and conditioner with fragrance, I keep a light hand. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I really miss wearing perfume too but rarely do because I know it bothers a lot of people or they have allergies.

It is strange how it affects so many these days whereas just several years ago, it seemed it was still okay to wear some.

The stores must have really noticed a drop in sales too. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I have cologne, I like cologne, I wear cologne. I don't, however, bathe in it and have never been made aware of a problem it's created for others. I spritz on a little something everytime I leave the house, no matter where I'm going. I can't, however, tolerate, all the 'home fragrances', candles and plug ins, most of which are too strong and do trigger sinus or allergy issues. Some people seem to require they have something too potent oozing up their house and in those instances I either don't stay long or don't go at all.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I'm always surprised when people comment on other people's colognes. I am not heavy handed, I have never had someone comment on how I smell. I also never smell the cologne on myself.

Honored Contributor

I buy a fragrance online from a company named PHLUR and their perfumes although mostly synthetic are strong smelling so you have to be careful when you apply it. I had a dental appointment and my dentist no sooner sat down beside me he started to sneeze and his nose started to run. He commented that he must be allergic to one of us ladies, I never wore the perfume to his office again.