Respected Contributor

I’ve used dental tape (the wider dental floss) to sew buttons onto our raincoats. It’s much sturdier than thread and doesn’t fray if the edges of the buttons are sharp. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT?

[ Edited ]

Where I am (SC) we get a film over our car headlights. I use colgate toothpaste (purchased at the dollar store) to clean them.

I guess any brand toothpaste would work (maybe not gel) - I just happened to buy colgate.

Honored Contributor

Toothpaste can be used to clean the bathroom sink. It does a great job.

Honored Contributor

I give light, daily cleanings to my makeup brushes by sweeping them across 'flushable wipes' . Then after a while I take them to the sink for their regular deep cleanings with soap.

Trusted Contributor

I used dental floss one Thansgiving to truss the turkey.

Honored Contributor

I use ammonia & warm water to clean combs in a small basin. I use ammonia & water to clean my engagement ring in a small measuring glass. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Yes, I've used toothpaste and old toothbrushes to clean my jewelry for years!  I keep most of my old toothbrushes to use for cleaning all sorts of small stuff.    

I also keep my old mascara brushes -- toss the tube of old mascara, but keep the brush applicator, wash it with soap and water.  These tiny brushes clean all those teensy nooks and crannies around the house.  Mascara brushes are excellent for cleaning combs.

Also, put combs and hairbrushes in the dishwasher occasionally to sanitize them.

@tototwo  Oooh. Brushes in dishwasher.

Honored Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

Where I am (SC) we get a film over our car headlights. I use colgate toothpaste (purchased at the dollar store) to clean them.

I guess any brand toothpaste would work (maybe not gel) - I just happened to buy colgate.

@riley1  Yes, dh does that, too.

Honored Contributor

@aggravated wrote:

I used dental floss one Thansgiving to truss the turkey.

@aggravated  Easier than kitchen cord or just out of it & used floss?

Honored Contributor

If you need more potatoes for a meal, add the dry potato flakes to the real potatoes, to stretch them.