Honored Contributor

WHAT DO YOU DO WITH "USELESS" MAKEUP?

[ Edited ]

So maybe you've had something for ages and never use it. 

Or you bought it last month and tried it and just didn't like it. 

You'll probably never use it again, but it's beyond returnable ... what do you do with it?  Throw it out?  Give it to someone?   Try to return it to the store, anyway?  

Personally, every now and then my sisters and I do a makeup trade-a-thon of whatever we aren't using.      

I just wonder what everyone else does .........

Trusted Contributor

Re: WHAT DO YOU DO WITH "USELESS" MAKEUP?

If it's something I have had for a long time, but never use, I will more than likely throw it away.

If it's fairly new and still in good condition, I will give it to my daughter.  She is now 11 and she is starting to play around with makeup for fun.  She loves when I give her some of my gently used makeup items.

Honored Contributor

Throw it out, throw out ALL samples I get, and use it as a reminded to not buy things I don't need that eat money and space in my home.  Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

I used to get one of those monthly makeup boxes, so in addition to the stuff I was always buying, I had a lot of things which I never even opened or tried.  I gave these things to family members.  Now, when I buy things that don't work, I usually just toss them.  I know I have wasted money but I do like to try new things occasionally and I just refuse to worry about it.  I don't usually buy really expensive things, so it's not a ton in the scheme of things.  I find I am buying less and less as time goes on.  If I do buy a more expensive item and it is not working for me, then I do return it and get my money back.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I want to try a shade of lipstick or shadow that's "iffy" for me, I may try it at a drugstore price before any investing in high end cosmetics. 

Sometimes makeup isn't really useless. A bronzer or blush that's not right for cheeks, can be tried as eye shadow. If you can't return a shadow, maybe try it under or over another shade you own.

Older makeup that you discover in the back of the drawer...toss it. It's probably out of date and if you haven't missed it, just realize the money's been spent and there's no reason to stuff items in your collection that make it more difficult to find what you use daily. 

....anything new, samples or items you purchased , don't like and haven't used, would be greatly appreciated at a women's shelter, etc.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This may sound odd to some, but I purposely buy makeup that may be "useless" if the price is right.  A couple of weeks ago I was at Walmart when they were putting out some makeup items they had clearanced.  Only $1.00 each!  

I had first pick as I was the only person in the area so I took my time.  I bought 4 tubes of tinted moisturizer and cc cream, all with SPF.  Almay, Revlon and Neutrogena.  I got very close to a perfect color match too.  I will wear these to my grandsons little league and t-ball games this summer.  If the color is not perfect it will not really matter.

Edited to add:  Gosh I really did not answer the question.....☺️☺️☺️☺️

I just toss anything that I know does not work for me. 

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

Out the door or through the window!

I don't think I ever got a sample that I actually used, except for 1. A lip shade that I specifically asked for, a shade I already knew & loved.

Esteemed Contributor

The only "useless" makeup I tossed was a color corrector stick by ELF. It was reddish, which claimed to cover dark circles, but did nothing. That is the only ELF product I didn't like. I noticed that they no longer carry the corrector, so maybe it wasn't very good to begin with. 

I like ELF camo concealer and now I have Bobbi Brown color corrector so everything is OK. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have passed along a couple of eyeshadow palettes to my best friend, but only after spraying the pan(s) with alcohol.

My local womens shelter will take some items. After that it's to the trash.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Throw Toss GIF - Throw Toss Paper - Discover & Share GIFs | Tossed, Gif,  Cool gifs