Honored Contributor

I almost never use a 5X or 10X mirror for makeup application. Why? No one has that great vision to see ME at that magnification. Lol

For tweezing, dying my brows, etc., yes, I do flip my mirror to the magnifying side.

Looking at your skin at that high a magnification may reult in too much coverage, too much detailing on eyes, too much concealer, etc. Most importantly, higher magnification can cause us to be hypercritical of our faces/skin...trying to cover up everything which results in a heavy makeup application.

Do you use high magnification to apply your makeup?

Honored Contributor

Yes I use a 10X otherwise I could not see my eyes well enough to apply eye make up and also lipstick.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

I use a 10X lighted mirror that is on a stand sitting on my makeup vanity. I cannot see the detail of my my face and eyes without my glasses. The magnification helps with that. I have a 5X that I pack for travels. They are a must have!

Honored Contributor

Yes, I use a 10 power magnification mirror. I can better see everything and it helps me immensely to apply makeup. Without it, I see a measurable difference in my appearance. I also like that I can check for changes and address concerns with my dermatologist.

Honored Contributor

Uh Oh...@Shanus...do I HAVE to tell the truth????    Well, here goes...I am guilty of  using  a 15X glass, and an LED spotlight...di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Regular Contributor

I always use a 10X magnification mirror when applying makeup or putting in my contact lenses.

I'm surprised a makeup artist would not use one.

Honored Contributor

I always use a 10x make up mirror. I even found a travel 10x mirror when I vacation. I figured if I look good that close then I guess I look good. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

A 10X is too much for me except when I pluck my brows, however, I normally switch between a normal mirror (in a large handheld compact)  and a 7X one on a stand when I do my foundation and eyes.  I use the non-magnified side of my makeup mirror for bronzer, blush, highlight and to make sure everything looks good when I'm finished.

I didn't use magnification for makeup when I was younger, but now that my eyesight stinks, I much prefer the 7X especially when doing eyes.

Esteemed Contributor

Regular mirror for face; magnifying for eyes; magnifying when face is done to be sure I don't have glops of makeup, powder, etc. that I missed on regular mirror.

Honored Contributor

Yes one for home and one for travel.  Must haves for me.