Honored Contributor

Re: Using regular moisturizer as a primer?

@Goldengate8361 @Porcelain @Shanus @Fressa @silkyk 

My primer at this time is plain Shea butter.

Anything that keep my makeup from sinking into the pores is what I’m using for now.

If it is good for skin, I’m there.

I’m looking for my Seaberry lip oil...this should work for my skin now also!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@Porcelain 

Good advice to try the sample or travel size of the Hourglass.  Since you only need a tiny amount it lasts a long time.  I buy the larger tube and it lasts at least a year.

Honored Contributor

I always use a moisturizer first and I only wear tinted moisturizer on top of that.  You have to realize that Beauty companies need to come up with new products to keep your attention.  Some new products work and some don't.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I skip primer. I use sunscreen first and take it down to my neck and chest. Wait a minute and apply tinted moisturizer. I keep my look pretty natural.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I don't use a primer my eyebrow pencil won't stick.  I use more and more pressure and end up with red eyebrows.  So I sure haven't saved any time since I have to start over again or leave the house looking terrible. Sunglasses hide a world of mistakes.

Edit after reading this thread:  I think a primer implies "barrier."  The texture of most products feels like silicone.  Do you remember years ago when posters were advocating chafing gel as a primer?  Pretty much the same stuff, cheap.  

Honored Contributor

When I was younger my SPF moisturizer was my primer. I don’t even remember primers being widely available back in the day.

When BB & CC creams started popping up I began mixing one with my foundation after applying my SPF. That made my foundation go on more smoothly. It also was a good transition to begin using less foundation because I was not liking the heavy opaque look of regular foundation. 

Now in my late 50s I use E.L.F. Poreless primer after SPF and before a tinted moisturizer. It really smooths out my skin and minimizes pores. It doesn’t make my oily skin break out either. It’s always good to wait a few minutes between applying each product for best results. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 

I highly recommend Bobbi Brown's Vitamin Enriched Face Base.  It is both a lovely, soft moisturizer and primer.  Skin looks radiant after applying make up and stays that way until you're ready to take it off.  

Pricey, but a little goes a long way.  Has been one of the best beauty product investments I've made.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

@pommom

I agree, for dryer skin the BB base is fabulous.  It is a lovely product!