Respected Contributor

Re: Using regular moisturizer as a primer?

I used to in my 30s and 40s, but changes to a moisturizer in my 50’s and 60’s.  I think it has a lot to do with the Dior Air Flash foundation I use. It doesn’t seem to work with a primer for me.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Everyone's complexion is different.  Some may find primers helpful, and some not.  For me, it's a Godsend.  I still have very oily skin at age 70.  If I apply my foundation without a primer -- and I have some favorite brands -- my skin gets greasy and my foundation slides off my face or sinks in.  My makeup disappears after a couple hours.  When I wear a primer, my foundation stays fresh most of the day.  

I wish they would've had primers when I was younger.  

Edited to add:  When you apply a primer, let it "set" for several minutes before you apply your foundation over it.  It works much better that way.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

I agree with PP it depends on your skin.  

I have combo skin (oily T zone) 

While most primers I HATE, I found my holy grail, Hourglass Mineral primer.  I cry everytime I have to restock as it is $$$$.

However it makes my skin look perfect!  It makes any foundation better and good foundation flawless.

My make-up looks great for 10+ with no touch-ups.  After about 10 hours I do powder my T zone.  Even in the gross summer heat-no melt downs.

I do the half face test all the time- half my face I apply xyz and the other half I do not and then check results throughout the day.  It is really the only way to know how something works for your skin.

Honored Contributor

I always think I should use a primer.  Then, I buy one and get discourage with it within a very short time.  I don't like a lot of layers on my face and I tend to break out and have problems when I use too many things on it.  Usually, I just end up using moisturizer and then foundation and powder or just powder.  For me, less is better.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

@Goldengate8361   For me just using a moisturizerunder my makeup is not enough.  I have tried lots of name brand primers.  But on these boards I read about Monistat Care Chafing Relief Powder Gel | Anti Chafe Protection (NOT the Monistat that is used for yeast infections).  It works just as well as the name brands .... but is much cheaper. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yup! The best one I've found is by Acure....the night cream. I use day and night...it has a nice "tightening" effect and my mineral makeup (Everyday Minerals online) just glides on. Wonderful product!

Esteemed Contributor

I have sensitive skin. I've used primers and moisturizers and cc /bb creams, etc. I had reactions to most of them. I finally just decided that instead of adding more to my routine that I needed to do a make under. I wanted fewer jars on my counter or in my basket.  It was the best thing I ever did. Now, I either use a few drops of my face serum and apply my B brown foundation stick or Dr. Denese day cream and I'm ready for my blush. My skin is so much better. I didn't see a difference when I was using a primer but that was me. I know my daughter in law uses primer only just to even out the skin tone and she's good with that system. (She dislikes makeup) Primer, mascara and done. 

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Anybody just use a regular moisturizer as a primer? I'm just not convinced that there is anything special about a primer.....what do you think?

@Goldengate8361   I don’t use a primer unless I need my makeup to last for a long time (8 hrs. or more) or I’m going out (evening, full face) and it’s particularly hot and humid. I don’t need the “smoothing” factor for every day makeup & would rather not add another step to my morning routine. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I use a sunscreen as my primer. Works really well for me...just apply the sunscreen on top of my hydrating vitamin C serum, let it set for about a minute or so then blot with a thin cotton cloth. The blotting is the key...that removes any excess or oily finish and makes my skin ready for my foundation. Makeup looks smooth and SPF protected.

@SilleeMee   Sometimes if I’m in a hurry, I dry down my skincare before makeup with the cool shot button on my blow dryer. 😜

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The functions of the products are different. Moisturizer is supposed to sink into your skin to condition it. Primer is the opposite. It sits on top to give a good surface for makeup to cling to.

I second the use of Hourglass Mineral Veil primer. I'm dry, and it still works well on me. Plus it has SPF15 so it can serve as an extra layer of sunscreen.

Edited to add: It's easy to just get the sample size of the Hourglass primer. Much less expensive and it does last quite a while.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr