Esteemed Contributor

Using regular moisturizer as a primer?

Anybody just use a regular moisturizer as a primer? I'm just not convinced that there is anything special about a primer.....what do you think?

Honored Contributor

Re: Using regular moisturizer as a primer?

I have tried primers from the Q, LG and SKINN and find they do not make my makeup look any better or last any longer. I do find they give me pimples and I'm 68 years old, so I guess the primer is clogging my pores.

Trusted Contributor

I go between a primer and the Elemis marine cream. Just depends on my day, I don't like a heavy primer or foundation. So far, I haven't seen any difference.

Respected Contributor

It’s funny you post this, lately I’ve been using a moisturizer and it acts incredibly well as a makeup primer. I don’t like regular  primers much anyway. My product is Korres wild rose brightening moisturizer. Never had anything grab makeup like this and hold it, and not pill.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361I've never used a primer that would be an adequate moisturizer for my thirsty skin.  I'm not in love with any primer, so if I could give them up.  For most of the years of my life I was totally unaware of primers -  how long have they been widely marketed?

Honored Contributor

I use a sunscreen as my primer. Works really well for me...just apply the sunscreen on top of my hydrating vitamin C serum, let it set for about a minute or so then blot with a thin cotton cloth. The blotting is the key...that removes any excess or oily finish and makes my skin ready for my foundation. Makeup looks smooth and SPF protected.

Honored Contributor

You should be using a moisturizer on your face all the time but I do notice a difference if I forget the primer (SKINN Orchid Gel).  Moisturizer sinks into your skin and for most a primer will result in a smoother look.  I don't think there is a right or wrong and it's whatever works for the look you want.   

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I use a sunscreen as my primer. Works really well for me...just apply the sunscreen on top of my hydrating vitamin C serum, let it set for about a minute or so then blot with a thin cotton cloth. The blotting is the key...that removes any excess or oily finish and makes my skin ready for my foundation. Makeup looks smooth and SPF protected.

You should open a spa, I love reading your posts, they always contain useful information.

Respected Contributor

I do not use a primer.  I cleanse my face, apply sunscreeen, then foundation. I do not like lots of steps or layering lots of products. 

Respected Contributor

I never use a primer, just my moisturizer.  Often times,  prior to applying my moisturizer, I lightly pat on a face oil or serum,  but that's it.  For some reason, I just don't like the idea of adding that extra layer of primer to my face.