Regular Contributor

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1All the make-up artists in the department stores are trained -trained to sell!.  I'm not as sure about color training.

I am very orange so I do need a warm foundation, but choosing which warm still takes a good color eye.  Not all warm foundations work for me and when Prescriptives was in the stores not all of the reps had the same eye.  However, they did all manage to get close, something no Lancome rep I tried ever did.  Too bad for me Prescriptives disappeared and Lancome is still there - although Lancome does sell some skincare I like.

Contributor

Extremely fair, freckled, redhead with neutral tones. I look like a cooked lobster after thinking of the sun. I cannot do warm or cool foundations ever. I try to tell makeup artists I need neutral but they insist on trying cool or warm first. Every. Single. Time. 

Honored Contributor

@Gerdane wrote:
Texasmouse, How nice of you not to say anything to your Mom!  I wouldn't have either if she went that long feeling confident in her colors!  I have learned so much about this that I love sharing what I know with others.  Heck, I even got my husband interested in knowing his colors.  We can be out shopping and he now knows what colors look best on him.  If he isn't quite sure if something is his color he will show it to me and ask if it's his color!  My Mom and I would talk about color seasons and I always thought she was an autumn.  I couldn't figure out how she was an autumn and all of her children are all summers like my Dad was.  I saw something online one day that sealed it for me as a true way of knowing your season without looking at veins.  It is as easy as looking at your iris!  Here is how it goes:  You are an autumn if the pattern in your iris resembles the Aztec sun.  You are a spring if the pattern looks like sun rays.  Summers have a pattern that resembles cracked glass, as if someone through a ball through a window and it has that shattered look (mine resemble cracked glass) and winters have a pattern that looks like spokes, like on a bicycle.  It was such a neat way to discover seasons and I have yet to find anyone who it doesn't work with!  Try it!!

@Gerdane     Mine look like mushroom gills.......what category would that be............?     I can't decide. 

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@millieshops,  Did you know Prescriptives is available online?

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Why is it that you can take your old can of paint to a paint store, get it electronically scanned and get it perfectly matched to a new one yet the cosmetic industry has not developed a method of doing this for foundation??

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1Thanks for the reminder!. I did know and forgot. Just yesterday as I was sorting and tossing, I found an almost empty tube of their lipstick from some years ago.  I'm going to look to see if it might still exist.

Finding color for my face that isn't pink, isn't muddy, but also doesn't turn too orange is a challenge.  Prescriptives used to meet that challenge fairly often.

Esteemed Contributor

Don't forget that those peaches, pinks, corals & reds in color cosmetics have undertone, too. Sometimes sitting there looking pretty in the tube or the case can be deceiving.

I've trained my eye to look for the color tones that best compliment my neutral-cool skin color.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3

"I just wear clothing or apply makeup that I think looks nice on me."

Exactly!  Before I heard about Color Me Beautiful back in the 90s, I already knew what colors looked best on me (makeup and clothes).  And sure enough, CMB confirmed I was a summer.  There is a reason we we like certain colors...they look best on us.  I am definitely a neutral when it comes to makeup and I look good in cool purples, pinks/mauves, blues/aqua, which is what my closet is full of Smiley Happy