Honored Contributor

Re: ULTA 20% off for Platinum members...why bother?

Our Ulta's have been remodeled, and their selection of prestige is fabulous.  That being said, they have terrible C.S. for the most part.   They don't offer the discounts they used to--I buy very little from Ulta though Ulta is so close to where I live.

I think the C.S. has improved a tiny bit, but it's still bad.  

The stores are clean and organized, and I do like their liter sales.  

I buy far more from Sephora

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@lkat wrote:

Another thing that really bugs me about Ulta is their "no sample" policy.  I think they only give out samples of Clinique or Lancome.  I just don't understand this at all, especially for foundation.  Seems silly that they'd rather have people return a $40 foundation rather than give out a sample that costs them hardly anything.

I like the fact that they have high end/low end beauty and hair products in one place, but if I'm looking to try something new that's on the pricey side I'm much more likely to go to Sephora/Nordstrom/Macys because at least you can get samples.

My local Ulta provides samples- if you ask. I guess it depends on the locale.

Mine doesn't.

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday   Then Ulta must REALLY do a poor job at negotiating their contract with the SAME vendors that allow 20% of via:

Space NK

Sephora
Skinstore

Nordstrom

and a host of other etailers. Odd that those same vendors allow their product to go on sale quite frequently there but NOT at ULTA NOR allow a measly $3.50 off their product.

Come on.

Honored Contributor

@winamac1  Mine was also and carries every brand that is carried on Ulta.com. Everyone is super nice but giving out samples can get them fired and not one employee agrees with it NOR the coupons being so stingy. Trust me, they tell it like they see it, lol.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@winamac1  Mine was also and carries every brand that is carried on Ulta.com. Everyone is super nice but giving out samples can get them fired and not one employee agrees with it NOR the coupons being so stingy. Trust me, they tell it like they see it, lol.

The girls at my Ulta could not care less about what customers think.  They say "it is what it is".  For the most part, the clerks are awful.  They have hired a few new ones who are nice, but that is so few and far between.    Sephora clerks are so much more friendly.

I do get clerks at Ulta asking me to help me, but I usually just say "no" as I don't much from Ulta.

I do buy when they have the 30 days of sales whereby one or two products are marked down.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:
It's not up to ulta. There is mfg restrictions on high end brand prices. Those brands are the ones that have to agree to a sale.

Not so sure that's the reason. After all, you see them discounted online.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@winamac1  That's a shame. : (   I'm very fortunate that everyone is upbeat and friendly and some of them really love makeup (you can tell by how they help those when asked). It makes a huge difference when those working have created a wonderful environment

: )

Honored Contributor

ITA!! I just got a 20% and of course the things I wanted to use it for I couldn't.  All of employees are very nice at the Ulta I go to.  They kept apolozing about not being able to use the coupon.  They don't give out samples there either.  I asked them that wouldn't it be cheaper if they did to cut down on returns.  They agreed but again it's out of their hands.  

Esteemed Contributor

Why do you think Sephora only offers sales for people who spend a ton of money there. Ulta is no different. Yes it's not up to ulta.
Esteemed Contributor

The 20% is available to anyone. The code is right on their site. It's just not platinum members.