Honored Contributor

I've read that no perfumes smell the same anymore. If you want a real one you have to go to one of the sites that still has the original 'oldies'. There is a reason for this but I can't remember why this is. It's not the inferior ingredients or the fillers-something required by law I think. I have blanked out on this. I do get tired of hearing Tova say how jasmine is 75,000 dollars an ounce or something. All I know, is it was great but it's over.

Respected Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

@Reever wrote:

Someone said she hasn't been able to acquire the same sandalwood oil she used in the 80s and 90s

Right?! That's why Channel #5 same today as day of conception. Trust me, Reason Tova and PH no longer smell or last the same powers that own two companies choose using inferior fillers.

We don't really know. Google reveals many articles that explain that many ingredients have been reclassified as allergens and can no longer be used. So it's very possible that the ingredients in Tova had to be changed for this reason. Or maybe they were changed for cost-cutting reasons. We'll never know for sure.

Trusted Contributor

I don't wear a lot of fragrance, but once in a while I wil wear Tova and it smells perfectly fine to me. I guess that is because I never tired it in the 80s or 90s.

Honored Contributor

The original scent was divine, what a shame it is no longer.

Respected Contributor

I use the "new" Tova. Smells great on me and I get compliments all the time when I wear it. Never had the "old" version.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

I like Philosophy, but wow, they beat it to death with the presentations. I'd much rather watch Tova. How much can you talk about Philosophy?  Give it a rest. 

@Reba055

ITA! I wish Philosophy would bring back some of their color cosmetics. I'm using a powdered eyeliner that I've had for ages and should replace. I can't find one I like as much as this one. I do like some of their skincare and bath products but how many bath gels does one need! I do wear Summer Grace daily year round and use the bathgel, olive oil scrub and body cream and like it. I also like Tova and did use and like both her signature fragrance and her Cactine skincare. Hmmm...May try it againSmiley HappyThanks a lot enablers...lol!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

Yes, perfume formulas used to include many allergens and ingredients that could cause sensitivity.

But more important, some ingredients are prohibited because of cruelty to animals.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

QVC should insist that original formulas be used on all perfumes that they sell.  They have the power to do so.  Tova's signature fragrance is all that I wore for years but it no longer is the same product.  Tova probably does care, but when she sold her company, she lost control of the product.  At 80, she is probably past the point of worrying about it.

@SXMGirl

Not realistic for QVC to demand that Tova goes back to the original scent.

Why, you ask?

Say that QVC DEMANDED that Tova goes back to the original ingredients that she used 20 years ago.

Those same ingredients now cost more, a whole lot more.

So therefore, it costs more to make the EDT.

QVC wants to buy this perfume.

Do you really think that QVC is just going to absorb what it costs to buy it?

Say it costs QVC $150 per 3.4 ounce bottle,

Do you really think that QVC isn't going to pass that increase on to their customers?

Now, let's say that QVC turns around and sells that 3.4 ounce bottle for $300, because, QVC has to make a profit on it you know.

How many people would be willing to shell out $300 for a 3.4 ounce bottle of perfume?

Some would, sure, but not enough for QVC to justify what it costs them to purchase it in the first place.

Economics 101.

So that's what QVC won't "demand" that Tova go back to using the original ingrediants.

Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2, I understand basic economics and how expensive the original formula would be.  I also know that just by reading these forums that people who really like her brand will pay the price.  I remember when Tova sold her products by taking out classified ads in the newspapers and she did very well.  We are well past that; and, while the Q would not sell as much product and does not want to spend that type of money to go back to the original formula (no one wants a huge inventory of a product that has a somewhat small shelf life), they could probably do a small amount for the holidays.  I guarantee that it would sell out.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

more to @Judaline point:

1. It's been reformulated. This is one of the fragrance industry's best-kept secrets. Most fragrances that have been around a while (even classics like Shalimar or Chanel No. 5) get reformulated every decade or so. This means that although it's supposedto be the same fragrance, it isn't. So if you happened to love the 2000-2010 version of your perfume, but there's something different about the 2011 version, this could very well be it. Unfortunately, if you can't learn to love the new formulation, your only recourse is to try and find a bottle of the previous version.
  2. It's an eau de toilette or parfum. This is another one most people never find out about. Not only is an EDT or "pure parfum" a different strength than the usual eau de parfum, they're sometimes actually separate fragrances. Famously, several Hermès scents' formulas are different in their EDP and EDT forms, so if you decided to try a lighter or more concentrated version of your perfume, you may have wound up with another one altogether.
  3. It's from another country or region.Yup, the same fragrances are altered for sale in different areas of the world. So if you bought your last bottle in Rio or Shanghai, the US version is unlikely to be the same perfume, and you'll have to hit up a duty-free store the next time you're traveling in the area if you want your precise scent back.
  4. It's a limited-edition version. This one can get confusing because, especially online, retailers sometimes overlook the fact that holiday or warm-weather-versions of scents are often different. Most of the time, they're advertised as having a special bottle, but you might also accidentally have bought a "special" variant of your fragrance.
  5. It's old. Was it on sale or at a discount department store? This could very well be your problem. Perfume ages, more so if it's sitting out for a long time, and "deals" on a scent often just mean that a store had to get rid of it. This sometimes happens when you're paying full price, too, so if you suspect the bottle is past its prime, don't hesitate to make a return.
  6. It's damaged. This is another instance in which you should always return. If it smells funky and you suspect that it was previously opened or fooled with, take it right back.
  7. It's counterfeit. This is, unfortunately, very common with "bargain" sites and stores, even at some off-price retailers. If you're certain you've landed a fake bottle, file a complaint with the Bureau of Consumer Protection, and return the stuff immediately if you can, alerting the store management (politely, because they probably had nothing to do with it) to the fact that they may be stocking fakes.
  8. It's from a bad batch. Just as some cars are lemons, some batches of perfume just don't come out right. Most companies employ rigorous testing, but it still happens once in a while. If you bought straight from the brand's site or a department store and it smells off, definitely return it and let them know. The store will probably be grateful for the heads-up.
*Call Tyrone*