Honored Contributor

I can tell you for a fact that the following scents TODAY smell NOTHING like they did back in the 80's/90's:

*Dior Poison

*Estee Lauder Cinnabar

*Lancome Magie Noire

*Calvin Klein Obsession

*YSL Opium

*Coco Chanel

*Maryln Miglan Pheromone

Not to mention the number of scents that went *poof!* because ingredients are no longer available. Shame, but there it is.

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@Plaid Pants2, I understand basic economics and how expensive the original formula would be.  I also know that just by reading these forums that people who really like her brand will pay the price.  I remember when Tova sold her products by taking out classified ads in the newspapers and she did very well.  We are well past that; and, while the Q would not sell as much product and does not want to spend that type of money to go back to the original formula (no one wants a huge inventory of a product that has a somewhat small shelf life), they could probably do a small amount for the holidays.  I guarantee that it would sell out.

This will never happen because Tova refuses to admit the formula has changed. She says her now Signature Tova fragrance is the original. She is not being truthful. She knows it. And I believe this happened before she even sold out (thereby selling us out!). Everybody lies.

Respected Contributor

Judaline, I doubt Tova would deliberately lie. This is a very graceful and elegant woman who stands behind her brand. Perhaps her suppliers have secretly changed the essential oils? Tova is a woman of chatacter and royalty. I have always found her to be truthful. There was a very funny story of her spritzzing her Sugnature in a hotel lobby when she was checking in and a bellhop ran into a pole he was so memzmerized with Tova,

Contributor

@Reever wrote:

Judaline, I doubt Tova would deliberately lie. This is a very graceful and elegant woman who stands behind her brand. Perhaps her suppliers have secretly changed the essential oils? Tova is a woman of chatacter and royalty. I have always found her to be truthful. There was a very funny story of her spritzzing her Sugnature in a hotel lobby when she was checking in and a bellhop ran into a pole he was so memzmerized with Tova,

Reever: Tova knows that the Tova Signature EDP is not the original formula. Myself and some other posters on this community board were part of a focus group years ago when all the issues arose with Signature. Her team sent us samples of the so-called new formula Signature EDP.  In turn, we would try them and give our opinions as to the scent and the long-lasting wear of them.  All of us agreed none of the samples sent to us were the ORIGINAL long-lasting scent. In the end her team didn't take our advice. They went ahead to keep selling the inferior Tova Signature EDP.  So I know for a fact that Tova Borgnine is not truthful when it comes to her Signature EDP.

Respected Contributor

The absolute jasmine in Tova costs $75,000 a pound !!! This is a woman who only uses the finest essential oils. She actually ages Tova in a stainless steel drum for 6 months. She refuses to skimp.

Honored Contributor

I have not bought Tova in many years, but it would be senseles to say that Tova does not realize the scent has changed, how could she not know?? Anyone who has used it for a long time, would have to know.

Respected Contributor

OHHHHH.....  that Original Signature Scent.  So GORGEOUS.  I actually had people follow me, stop me, and ALWAYS got compliments each time I wore it.  I was at a sales meeting many many years ago and had the original Signature Scent on, and when I walked down the aisle to get to my seat, I had 6 men ask me what I was wearing, since they wanted to purchase for their wives and girlfriends.  

Sadly,  this scent will never be as it was. Lucky are those who are enjoying the current version.

New Contributor

Actually the Chanel No. 5 sold in stores today is not the exact same smelling fragrance it was when I wore it in the 1970s and 1980s.  It had a lot more depth to it back then.  As with Tova, the No. 5 sold now is a much "watered" down version of its former self.  Sadly, the European perfume Gestapo has put so many restrictions on what perfumers can and can't put in their fragrances that it has destroyed many classics like Mitsouko and L'heure Bleu that now smell nothing their former beautiful selves.  I still like and wear No. 5, but she is definitely NOT the goregous grande dame she was 40+ years ago.  

Respected Contributor

Tova continues to be treated with such disrespect. Her fragrances are overlooked, even on the Beauty channel. Why doesn't QVC just release her from her contract so this elegant and graceful woman can stop being embarrassed. She once had such a fine line of products even an elegant salon in Beverly Hills. Once the Q started mass marketing her stuff I suspect she had to use inferior products to make her margins. Originally she used cactine which was an essential oil found in the cactus roots that has healing properties. 

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

The absolute jasmine in Tova costs $75,000 a pound !!! This is a woman who only uses the finest essential oils. She actually ages Tova in a stainless steel drum for 6 months. She refuses to skimp.

Tova has been stating that price for absolute jasmine for twenty years.   Must be more now, but she has her same "sales talk."  I used her fragrances and skincare for years and miss  those items on QVC.   I think the reason her scents have changed are the newer regulations on ingredients.     I wish QVC would bring her color cosmetics and skincare back, but it will never happen with Philosophy, IT Cosmetics and Josie Maran on every few days.