Regular Contributor

My hairdresser  just recently quit her job and is working out of her home. She is charging the same amount she charged when she was in a salon. I usually give her a 20% tip. Should I continue to give her 20%? She is trying to save to open her own salon. I've always been happy with her. I go for a cut/color every four weeks. Thanks 

FYI it's over $100 with tip 

Honored Contributor

@jobiz 

Personally, I think the 20% is fine and customary.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@jobiz Of course! But feel free to tip more if you like! I tip my hairdresser 20% and have for years. She's the BEST and I appreciate her! She's really a great person as well.

Respected Contributor

I always understood  if a hair stylist worked from home a tip was not necessary as the cost was not divided between the salon and stylist.  

All that aside, if I loved the stylists work I would probably add on a tip.

Honored Contributor

@jobiz wrote:

My hairdresser  just recently quit her job and is working out of her home. She is charging the same amount she charged when she was in a salon. I usually give her a 20% tip. Should I continue to give her 20%? She is trying to save to open her own salon. I've always been happy with her. I go for a cut/color every four weeks. Thanks 

FYI it's over $100 with tip 

from what I understood, if she charged that much at a salon, she didn't get that much to take home,

at her house she is getting the 100 (less supplies), is there an actual salon set up or are you just at her kitchen?

my first inclination is give her 100 cash and be done, will be interested to read others thoughts 

Honored Contributor

What your hairdresser is doing is illegal.  She could lose her license.

and, if something goes wrong, like you become allergic to hair color which can happen even if there is no problem for years, or you are burned or get an infection she has no insurance.

I know of a lady who lost her finger because she got an infection during a manicure. 

You should think about this.

Respected Contributor

@jobiz I would continue to give her a 20% tip.

Valued Contributor

The hairdresser I go to does hair in her home too. I do not tip 20 per cent, I give less than that.  Her prices are still  the same of the shop she had. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Tip question

[ Edited ]

@jobiz  If and when she has a legitimate shop I would tip her but if not  a legitimate hair salon then she does not have the expenses of setting up and running  a shop that passes strict inspection laws and is also probably working under the table and not paying taxes.  If I still wanted to go to her I would not tip under those conditions nor would I be willing to pay the same amount as I did at the salon.  There is no benefit to you to do this since not insured and licensed to do hair and charge and that puts you at risk also especially since she does not have a real legit salon set up with sink set up and just is probably going to use her household sink.

Frequent Contributor

Are you sure you want to do this? What she is doing is illegal and will jeopardize her license.  If the reason she quit was because she wants to keep more of the money for herself and not share with the salon, it also probably means she won't have insurance and you wouldn't have the protections a salon with a reputation to hold up would have. 

I understand you may like her personally but is this the best thing for you? 

There are plenty of other hair stylists who would continue to work and save up to open their own salons. In fact that happens all the time.  But I would be leery of someone one who quit and then wants to charge you the same amount of money without any of the benefits of the salon.  That's just my opinion of course.