Honored Contributor

@RainyDayGal wrote:why save to

Maybe the stylist has the room (and bathroom) set up in her home.  I have a friend that has all of that and it's fine for her to do business from home.

I don't know if I would tip 20%. She is getting all of the profit now, less some expenses for supplies.

So if she had all that set up then she already has a home salon so why was she working at a salon and then quitting to save money for a salon?  The expenses she would have would probably net her less than what she was making at the  salon she was at.  Not really a way to save money but if she was working under the table because she couldn't put that income on her tax return even if she wanted to without the required business information so she would be getting all the profits and she would be able to save even though illegal.  

Honored Contributor

@jobiz - I would continue to tip her what you have been, especially if she is trying to build her own business. You have developed a relationship with her and I'm sure you care about her. Good luck to her!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

It's the same stylist doing your hair, so whether it's cut or color it's going to turn out the same. My stylist sold her salon, and then worked for someone. In between that time she came to my house, and went to other customers homes. We are now back in a salon. We were all fine. 

It's not about being fine.  You also need a special license if you go to people's homes to do their hair.  My cousin's wife does that and she needs liability insurance.  Hopefully your stylist did that and if not then could have lost her license if it was found out.

Honored Contributor

I'm sure hair stylists, nail artists, etc. are subject to hygiene rules and investigated by the board (without notice) for cleanliness, licenses just the same as if you cooked form your home to sell cookies, for instance to a restaurant or cafe. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Tip question

[ Edited ]

@manny2 wrote:

It's the same stylist doing your hair, so whether it's cut or color it's going to turn out the same. My stylist sold her salon, and then worked for someone. In between that time she came to my house, and went to other customers homes. We are now back in a salon. We were all fine. 

Unfortunally, you can develop a bad allergy to hair color that you have been using with no problems for years.  Every bottle or color will tell you to do a patch test first.

Of course, very few people actually do that, but that is printed there to protect the  manufacturer from liability.

To be honest, it is unusual for anyone to develop an allergy to a  product that they  have been using for years, but it does happen.  I personally know a few hair stylists that have had this happen to them.  It was so bad, they they can no longer work with color.

i have only seen one client who developed an allergy.  It took a month or two for her burns to heal.

There is a high rate of infection associated with mani and pedis.  I know of quite a few cases And as I mentioned, one lady lost part of her finger.

I will never get my nails done in a shop....not even my own. It is too risky.  

If you ever have the chance to talk to a podiatrist, ask him or her how safe shops are.  They get a ton of patients with bad toe nail infections.

In my state of PA, it is legal to provide services in a customers home, a hospital, etc. as long as you are licensed to work and you are employed by a licensed shop and the clients appointment is listed in your appointment calendar.  It might be different in other states.

Honored Contributor

Re: Tip question

[ Edited ]

@Carmie 

Yes, Carmie...of course she does have ALL documents in pretty frames on the wall.  Ad said, she is a fully licensed business.  I have been going to her since 1991.

She does NOT have a separate bathroom and is fully licensed by the State and Town.

They do come in for inspections including her bathroom and keep having her change what kind of towels are used...every inspector changes what the previous said!  LOL

Her nail salon is the front porch, has its own entrance....but she only has one bathroom in the entire house and that is perfectly legal and acceptable.

The town's biggest issue is making sure she is not clogging up the street parking by having too many clients at once.  She never does and has never had one complaint from neighbors.  She does one client per hour.

And btw- I Still tip her 20%.  She may not have rent to pay to a a salon, but she has a mortgage to pay to the bank!  SAME THING!

Honored Contributor

Geez.  Just because she does hair out of her home doesn't mean it's illegal.  The OP asked a question about tipping.  She didn't get into anything else about the business.  Just because the OP said the stylist is saving money to open her own salon, still doesn't mean what she is doing is illegal.  

To answer the actual question, I would still tip her 20%.   

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@Carmie 

Yes, Carmie...of course she does have ALL documents in pretty frames on the wall.  Ad said, she is a fully licensed business.  I have been going to her since 1991.

She does NOT have a separate bathroom and is fully licensed by the State and Town.

They do come in for inspections including her bathroom and keep having her change what kind of towels are used...every inspector changes what the previous said!  LOL

Her nail salon is the front porch, has its own entrance....but she only has one bathroom in the entire house and that is perfectly legal and acceptable.

The town's biggest issue is making sure she is not clogging up the street parking by having too many clients at once.  She never does and has never had one complaint from neighbors.  She does one client per hour.

And btw- I Still tip her 20%.  She may not have rent to pay to a a salon, but she has a mortgage to pay to the bank!  SAME THING!

Things are different in every state.  Pennsylvania is very strict.

I can't imagine having clients using my family bathroom.  To me, that is just gross.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  It appears she does not already have a salon  set up in her house or she would not have been working at another salon.   Also the cost of maintaining a salon in her house would more than likely not enable her to save more money than what she made working where she was since she more than likely would be spending more than she could make for a time.  She is not charging any less either!  My stylist had a home salon built in  her home and  it took a year or so to actually show profits more than she had been making before doing that.  She did that so she could be home with her 2 young children and not to make more money.  She also did not charge as much as she had to when she worked at another salon which was good for her customers.   There is no benefit to the situation op posted about and she never posted more info to dispute anything.  Under those circumstance  if I choose to go to her, I would not tip.