Honored Contributor

Viviscal is sold on SHQ. I spent $200 on it, did nothing for me, but that is just me, could work for others.  First I would start by taking 10,000 mcg of Biotin daily. 

Honored Contributor

@Mom in NYOn my hair, no -  and I've tried many.

The only thing that works well is good color -  gives my fine hair body and makes the thin spots seem less sparse.   

The only hairdresser that ever talked seriously to me about going gray wasn't really serious.  He described what I'd most likely want to do if i gave up color and told me how happy he'd be to have me do that -  he stood to make more as I worked to maintain my fine, sparse hair than the cost of my monthly colorings.  I had no reason to doubt him -  I'd already watched my mother begin weekly professional care once all 5 of us kids were on our own. She lived where that cost was not exorbitant.  I have her hair -  just no place or desire to spend time and money on weekly salon visits.

As a snowbird, I work wth 2 professionals every year -  and they both sing the same song that ****** did years ago.

ETA:   lolol -    Dummy here forgot some names ****** are verboten!

Valued Contributor

@Mom in NY wrote:
Do thickening shampoos work? Can anyone recommend a shampoo. Thanks so much

I have tried many over the years and the one that really seem to help my hair improve was Carol's Daughter Monoi  Ora ( it is volume   + repair) sold on HSN or her website . I use mostly the shampoo there is a conditioner and a volume spray.

Off the subject I did add more protein to my diet and think that is helpful too.

Respected Contributor

@DAD wrote:

My hairdresser recommended Nioxxin. You need the 3 step system. It has shampoo, conditioner & a styling foam. I color my hair so I get the system 4 on Amazon. In about 2 months I could see new hair growing in a thinning spot I had. That was a few years ago. I am using it again with all the stress going on in my life. I caught it early this time. My hairdresser did tell me to make sure to use all three steps. If I don't wash my hair everyday I use the foam just on my scalp before bed.

I have used Nioxin 4 on and off throughout the years.  I absolutely love the shampoo!  But I never stuck with it long enough to see any results.  One of my hairdressers, who recommended it, told me the same thing about using all three products.  

DId your hairdesser recommend using the 3-piece system every day in order to see results?   

Frequent Contributor

My hairdresser noticing my thinning hair, has me using ZENAGEN shampoo/conditioner.

Sold in salon and on Amazon (cheaper). She said to use it 3 times a week; but the directions say every other day. You have to leave it on for 5 minutes. I use Alexa. I've been using it almost a year and my hair has improved filling in. 

She has a male client she told me that she said has had very good results in 2 years of use.  I just recommenced it to my son as he is noticing thinning cowlick area. 

Good luck! 

Honored Contributor

@Mom in NY   I recommend Aquage Thickening Spray gel.  It's very lightweight and you spray on damp hair.  You will learn to adjust how much you should spray after your first application.  I have been using for years and tried other products but they cannot compare.  Also, I recently purchased Mario Badescu Nucleic Moisturing Spray Conditioner.  If you want lots of beautiful shine and body this is excellent.  It's not the thickness you will get from Aquage but you will get body.  I spray on, massage and leave in.  You can rinse out but I prefer to stay in which you also can do.  I hope you do try the Aquage.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Ok ladies, let's get real. There is no product on the market that thickens thin hair. I know. I've been blessed with extremely fine, thin, skinny hair my entire life. I have found that getting a regular haircut helps immensly! I keep my hair cut into a cute pixie. No one ever comments how fine my hair is, I just get compliments on great looking hair! Something I thought would never happen in my lifetime. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Mom in NY   I recommend Aquage Thickening Spray gel.  It's very lightweight and you spray on damp hair.  You will learn to adjust how much you should spray after your first application.  I have been using for years and tried other products but they cannot compare.  Also, I recently purchased Mario Badescu Nucleic Moisturing Spray Conditioner.  If you want lots of beautiful shine and body this is excellent.  It's not the thickness you will get from Aquage but you will get body.  I spray on, massage and leave in.  You can rinse out but I prefer to stay in which you also can do.  I hope you do try the Aquage.

Just thought I would mention that Mario Badescu is having 25% off on their website right now (with free shipping on $35 order)

Respected Contributor

I've tried everything for years and nothing really helps.  I just wear my hair "up" all the time and it looks fine.  I use Boldify powder/fibers to fill in where my scalp shows.  

By the way there's a difference between fine and thin.  I always had fine hair but a lot of it - over the years it's become very thin.  

Honored Contributor

My Moms hair became thin and she got a clip in type topper for her hair on top. It looked very nice and very natural.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller