Honored Contributor

I never used one and never will.  I am super fair and burn within a few minutes out in the sun.  

I also don't care if I am pasty white. It is what it is.

Trusted Contributor

I used a tanning bed briefly back in my college days.  When I was in my 50's I was diagnosed with melanoma.  While they can not prove it, doctors felt it was the likely cause.  I was very lucky - everyone else in my group with a melanoma diagnosis at the time is now dead; I am the only one still alive.  Once a tan was important to me, now I stay out of the sun, keep covered if I am in the sun, but never use sunscreen - much to the frustration of my dermatologist.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

Going back quite a few years my small town had 4 to choose from. In fact I worked at one for about a year and we did one heck of a business all year round. Some days there wasn't a booking left to be had. Regulars would book 4 & 5 appointments out. Now I know of one the next town over that is still there after all these years but none here in my town. 

Valued Contributor

Some tanning businesses also have Red Light beds, aka, one big light stim.  They also have one that helps with psoriasis but not sure what light it is.

Honored Contributor

@Sue98  Never used one, always thought they were ridiculous and unsafe, to say the least.

Honored Contributor

In junior high school I tried it.

My best friend and I had a mistaken idea we wanted to try out for the jr. high cheer squad, so we practiced with a book in her backyard. I went to the local tanning parlor a few times to get the required bronze goddess look. My lucky friend just got color easily by being outside. All that happened to me from the booth was that I got a little red, and then back to paper white.

Being supremely uncoordinated, we eventually lost interest. Thank goodness! My skin and probably my neck are all the better off for it.

The tanning joints in my area all offer spray tan booths too. So I've gone to them for that more recently.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I never have but I did sunbathe in the summers until I was 23. 

Honored Contributor

@Sue98 

No, I don’t use them anymore. I went a few times but stopped after I broke out in hives. My sister & her daughters used them for many years. My sister had precancerous lesions removed, possibly caused by the tanning beds or being outside often without sunscreen. 

@shaggygirl 

My city had tons of tanning salons back in the 80s & 90s. Now I see mostly spray tan places. One of my nieces likes a spray tan, but I have never been. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Tanning beds?

[ Edited ]

I have never used and would not use.  Too dangerous to your skin.  If you want to be a wrinkled prune, go ahead.  I did not think they existed any more.  You now stand and get sprayed tan.  I don't do that either, in fact, I do not use tanning cream.  I was thinking about it this year but so far have not taken the plunge.

kindness is strength
Frequent Contributor

I have heard short sessions in a tanning bed is good for people who need to get Vit.D