Honored Contributor

It appears matte makeup is back for fall/winter. Highlighter, juicy foundations, etc. are out...of course, that’s for the 15 yr. old models. Women of a certain age, still need skin that looks moist and dewey. 

What do you think of matte?

Respected Contributor

@Shanus   ITA with you.  I think matte makeup is aging.  21 year olds can wear anything and look OK, but I need some added color and "glow" for my 70 year old skin!  When I was young, my skin was so oily, it was practically dripping (and I had the zits to match).  I can see where oily skin might need some tamping down, but not for me now!

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

Is matte the trend now? (I don't follow.)

I would say, certain women (not necessarily of a certain age) need some semblance of moist & dewey.

But on the other end of the spectrum, I do not care for the high shine look. Most of us are not models in magazine ads.

Honored Contributor

I go for a dewey look on me....skin normal/dry. I add setting powder in t zone only. If cheeks still look too matte, I tap on a bit of whatever lip gloss I’m wearing...much more natural looking than highlighters with sparkle.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree - I think matte makeup is very aging. I tried every foundation around that was matte.....I looked much older, and it settled in the wrinkles. Ugh! What I prefer is Dr. Perricone "No Foundation, Foundation"....with a little glow powder. Otherwise I look like Mother Time. LOL

Honored Contributor

If this makes nose tip highlighting go away, I'm for it. Humans are not puppies. Our noses should not look wet.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

@Shanus 

Hi I agree I always had oily acne prone skin . I still do at 56 , but even when I was younger I always felt too matte actually drew more attention to pores and breakouts . Now I keep it minimal with Colorscience sunscreen products and just brush t zone with their powder sunscreen tp top off . The finish is fresh and light with just the right amount of dewiness.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

If this makes nose tip highlighting go away, I'm for it. Humans are not puppies. Our noses should not look wet.

That’s so funny @Porcelain . Just checked Molly’s nose. It’s black and shiny like patent leather!! 😂

Honored Contributor

No matte for me, but that doesn't mean I shine.  I am also seeing way too much highlighter on cheeks these days including hosts on the shopping channels.  Big swaths of highlighter across the top of the cheeks.  Too obviously added.  I want my foundation to look like it's just my skin only better.  Younger healthy skin isn't matte, so I'm not going there.  Usually when I'm done applying all my makeup I VERY LIGHTLY tap iT Hello Light across the top of my cheekbones as a finishing touch, but no way is it obvious.  

Regular Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

It appears matte makeup is back for fall/winter. Highlighter, juicy foundations, etc. are out...of course, that’s for the 15 yr. old models. Women of a certain age, still need skin that looks moist and dewey. 

What do you think of matte?

I am one of those women of a certain age and matte is not all that for me.  I need the moist, dewey look.