Esteemed Contributor

Guess I'm the odd man out.  I prefer a matte finish.  Plus, I apply a finishing powder or Colorscience powder sunscreen to keep my makeup matte through the day.  At 70, my complexion is as oily now as it was when I was a teenager.  Which isn't a bad thing.   I've tried to add a little 'glow' with creams and powders, but then I look like a circus clown.   So, no artificial glow for me.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Super Contributor

I like a matte foundation but with a highlighter and with bronzer

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   Matte is fine if it is not a FLAT matte.  When I used Laura Mercier her tinted moisturizer was a demi matte and looked beautiful on the skin.  If a woman's makeup is too dewy or radiant her whole face is glowing and it does not look good.  If it is a hint of glow then it is pretty.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I like matte lipstick because it is longer lasting.  But put me in matte foundation and I look like a model for the local funeral parlor's makeup skills.

Honored Contributor

@depglass   😂

Honored Contributor

Agree with @depglassExtreme matte and powdery makes me think of going to a visitation.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Regular Contributor

I can't do matte.  My skin is normal to dry and it highlights my dry patches if I do.  But I have to agree about excessive highlighting, that's also bad.  I try to do a dewy look by using oils on my skin (usually a couple of drops mixed with my moisturizer and/or foundation) and using just a tiny bit of powder to set. I turn 41 in October and most people guess my age in my 20s.  As recently as yesterday a coworker of mine that is in her 20s and from Korea wanted to know how do I keep my skin so healthy looking.  My oh my that was a fantastic compliment!  I try to keep my makeup natural looking (never matte), focus more on skincare and protecting my skin from the sun/uv lights.  

Honored Contributor

What I strive for and what I usually get are 2 different things most of the time!  LOL

I don't like a completely matte flat look at my age which makes me look old, tired and sad.  But I don't care for a shiny, greasy look either.  I want a bit of a glow but don't like my nose to light the way!   As you can tell, I struggle to find a happy medium! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I've never understood matte lipstick.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@glam_girl wrote:

I can't do matte.  My skin is normal to dry and it highlights my dry patches if I do.  But I have to agree about excessive highlighting, that's also bad.  I try to do a dewy look by using oils on my skin (usually a couple of drops mixed with my moisturizer and/or foundation) and using just a tiny bit of powder to set. I turn 41 in October and most people guess my age in my 20s.  As recently as yesterday a coworker of mine that is in her 20s and from Korea wanted to know how do I keep my skin so healthy looking.  My oh my that was a fantastic compliment!  I try to keep my makeup natural looking (never matte), focus more on skincare and protecting my skin from the sun/uv lights.  

@glam_girl   Good for you. Not to toot my own horn, but good skin care since age 30 (41 years) and minimal makeup have kept me looking younger even now w/ silver hair. Most people say about 50. It does pay off in the long run!