Frequent Contributor

Hello Ladies,

There are so many beauty boxes out there - from Walmart & Target to Allure, Birchbox, Ipsy, Julep, etc....

I think it would be fun to join one that was less expensive.  Just bringing lunch from home to work a few days a month would more than cover the cost of some of these! I worry though because I have super fair, sensitive skin and wonder if I would really be able to use the items.

Do any of you subscribe to these and which do recommend or like the best?  Which do you NOT recommend?

Just curious and wanting to treat myself to a little fun...

Thanks!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Subscription Beauty Boxes

My daughter is currently receiving the Ipsy bag. She likes it a lot. She has been doing it since she was about 17. 

She he is now going to switch to Boxycharm. She thinks the variety is better and they offer larger sizes in what they send.

She recently sent me a free Ipsy bag. I will get it in November.

Valued Contributor

I tried Birch Box but it was mostly broken and I didn't like the things inside. I just started Macy's BB and I do like that.

Respected Contributor

I tried both Birchbox (which was a gift) and Sephora.  I liked Birchbox better.  I stopped both because I decided I needed to put my money towards products I knew I liked.  It was fun to try new items, but I really did end up giving a lot away.  I have sensitive skin too and was worried about some of the products and also some of them were just not colors I like.  My friend was really happy with my giveaways.  It was fun to try new things.  I would say go for one of the $10 or so dollars a month one and see what you think. 

Trusted Contributor

@Roni18

My DD is in a FB group that trades things they don’t like with other members who also get these boxes. So more ways to try new things. 

Honored Contributor

I like QVC's TILI and Sephora's Play the best.  I'm down to those two plus Walmart, but I have experienced missing boxes with Walmart and Walmart claims they were delivered.  (PO Box)  I gave up on Birchbox because they "never" give you any full sized products.  Also gave up Allure because I wanted to try Sephora and they finally let me in.

Respected Contributor

I find that monthly beauty boxes are too much for me. I personally don't go through products that fast per month (even sample sizes).  That's why I like the Walmart box, it is quarterly.  And also I wait to buy beauty products at Ulta and Sephora until they have a huge sample bag with purchase (I got a 60 piece sample bag from Ulta around Thanksgiving last year with $75 beauty purchase).  You can  check the gwpaddict website to see what special gift with purchase is being offered. That is a great way to try quality products without paying a monthly fee.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have another thought on these boxes.  Get one from a place where you usually buy your products.  In my case that would be Sephora and QVC.  We have no Macy's in our area so it would be foolish for me to start trying their brands. 

Honored Contributor

I have had Ipsy, Allure Beauty Box, Sephora Play, and have just cancelled my Macy’s Beauty Box. I do get the QVC TILI Box and like it, but I’m done with them.

Honored Contributor

I was getting Ipsy for about 6 months.  I dropped the subscription.  I kept getting colors and products I'd never use despite filling out the survey every month and doing the survey before the subscription started.  I kept getting black eyeliner, which I don't use, bottles of nail polish which I don't use and brown eyeshadows which I don't need.

I finally realized that if I saw any of those kits in a store for $10.00, I'd pass on them because there were so many products I'd never use.  I also realized if I saved that $10.00/month, I could put it towards products I'd definitely use.

It was fund to come home once a month and find a box of goodies until I realized most of the goodies were going unused or I was giving them away.