Super Contributor

Stopping and starting exercising...

Can't seem to keep on my exercise regimen...I get started losing a bit of weight, my clothes start to feel loose and then things get in the way and I cannot seem to stay on track. Our car broke down, thank God we just bought another today. So that will help me to get to the gym now at least. There is always something getting in the way. Just wanted to vent...

Honored Contributor

Re: Stopping and starting exercising...

Only you can take care of this. You must want it and reach into yourself to do it consistently.

Super Contributor

On 7/12/2014 happy housewife said:

Only you can take care of this. You must want it and reach into yourself to do it consistently.

True...I have also become lazy with house cleaning...used to get it done super quick..I am just getting lazier or maybe feeling depressed or something. But you are right.

Honored Contributor

If your car breaks down, you can do more walking.

Super Contributor

I find that walking is the best exercise for me. I can do it whenever I want to, and the weather is not a deal breaker for me. I do prefer to walk outdoors, but walking at the mall will work when it's too hot, or too cold.

I also like that I can walk a lot if I feel up to it, or just a little if I am not feeling very well that day and having more joint pain.

I think I could always exercise more, but I do it when I can. I don't push myself.

I do think that it helps if you have an exercise buddy! A friend that will go with you to walk or to the gym or whatever you choose to do, it's more enjoyable and goes faster-- if you have someone with you.

Super Contributor

Workout at home if you can't get to the gym, at least you keeping going back and don't give up completely!

My problem is usually being too tired and unmotivated after work. But I have a cheap treadmill I bought at walmart years ago that does the job (I'd love to have a really nice one!), and I've worked out yesterday and today, and am again trying to keep it going every day or most every day.

Esteemed Contributor

Sing, I think the hardest part of exercising is getting started.

Why do you go to a gym? There are so many other things you can do; just make sure they are things you enjoy.

Do you have OnDemand? There are tons of exercise programs there to fit every taste.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

Here are my tips.

1) Keep a bag of clothes packed in the car with shoes, a sports bra, shorts, pants, T or tank, and jacket or sweatshirt. Then you're ready for whatever exercise on any given day. Sometimes I pack my gym bag with intentions of going to the gym, and then I end up doing something different, like going walking after school with a friend outside, which may require less/more clothing than if I were going to the gym. I always keep a yoga mat in my car so it's ready to go.

The times when my exercise plan gets thwarted is when I have multiple appointments, and I think I have time to get back home and change before class.

2) Keep a record of your exercise. I will write on a calendar (even better if it's on the fridge) what I did, where, and for how long. Sometimes I break up the exercise before/after work or between the gym and home. If you write it on a calendar, you can see where you're going wrong (maybe because of a particular day or time).

3) Get something that you can do from home, so if the weather doesn't cooperate, you're stuck waiting on a service call, doing laundry, making dinner, etc. you can do something else. I have a set of weighted hula hoops (regular and arm hoops) as well as a pilates reformer, hand weights, and stretch resistance bands.

4) Get some good tunes on your iPod or phone that you look forward to listening to. Create different mixes for different activities. I enjoy reading, but sometimes I don't have time to finish a book before it expires from my Kindle. I like to read while doing the bike, walking on the treadmill, or using the elliptical. Then I can double dip with two activities. I sometimes read while I rebound (I know not everyone can do it).

5) Not all exercise requires getting up and getting dressed. Many times I do pilates or use the hula hoop while I'm still in my pajamas. You can do yoga, floor exercises, sit ups, push ups, or hand weights without a big production if changing is what puts you off.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

lolakimono...awesome ideas...thanks for sharing!

Super Contributor

lolakimono thank you so much for the ideas..

thank you everyone for your comments. I think I like the gym the most because of the eliptical. I really do feel results with that machine. I do sometimes run around my block a few times as it goes up and down hill. But when I slack on the elliptical I find I get more tired running. When I keep up with the elliptical I am able to run more.