Frequent Contributor

Re: Stopping and starting exercising...

I do P90X and Insanity most days. However, I travel a lot and when I'm on the road, I take my iPad and find a decent workout on youtube. Jillian Michaels has a 6 pack in 6 weeks routine that is pretty good and the Tone it Up videos are nice, too (not real intense though). I can either do them in my hotel room or take the iPad down to the hotel gym. No excuses -- everyone can make a few minutes in a day. Often, I have to workout out at 10:00 or 11:00 at night, but if that's what it takes...

Regular Contributor

I've been using a Fitbit for about a month. I was a total couch potato but now have been doing 30 minutes of exercise per day and keeping track of my eating. We even have a Fitbit group here on the Q forum. Feels great. You might want to give it a try.
Super Contributor

I did try the Insanity..very hard to do..I get stuck on the first DVD..the one you have to do until you get used to it to move into the harder DVDs…very hard to do..I get so out of breath with Insanity!

I will have to look into the Fitbit..never heard of that. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I will share what works of me:

1) Find an exercise you want to do so it's something pleasant. If you enjoy it you'll want to do it more.

2) Get creative with your exercise, go on a hike and pack a lunch with friends go all together. Walk regularly with a neighbor etc.

3) Develop a habit. You exercise Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, always at the same time, it has a reservation time in your calendar.

Super Contributor

A walking buddy helps, joining weight watchers can help (there is a community of supportive folks)

There are tons of apps and programs to track your activity and give you a reward.

I have a fit bit and it has a great program that comes with it that helps you track everything.

Good Luck - its never too late to start!

Super Contributor

Sorry...you sound like you have had a lot of stress lately. I hope things get better

now that you have a car that runs right. Don't beat yourself up. Do what you can.

Remember....it is one good choice, then one more. They add up, and eventually you

will be making more progress that you realize. Keep going, and don't give up. Best

wishes to your success!

Super Contributor

I know exactly how you feel. Although my doctor gave me very good common sense advice. Don't expect change overnight- both in physical appearance and an exercise routine. Start out with a small exercise goal at first like going to the gym 3x in one week or walking around the block at least twice. Once that becomes ""routine"" then move forward from there. Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

I do the same. I start and feel good that I am sticking with it and then soon I stop going and then it seems to be "I will start again next week." I am going to start again and need to make it something I dont miss for any reason because then it is so easy to keep missing. I have never really been an "exerciser" but I would like to get in better physical shape. I do agree though, at the beginning, small goals and increase and time goes on. I have always been bad at this, I jump right in, but I am going back to the little by little approach. I am not giving up. I would like to make this a habit.
Super Contributor

Thanks everyone for your comments. Was away because found out my bro is in the hospital. But read everyone's comments and advice. Gonna try harder Smiley Happy

Occasional Contributor

I think the best think to start with is just running or jogging. As long as you are really pushing yourself I think you can get optimal results. After you have built a little and are in a routine then I would suggest hitting the gym because you will be more inclined to do so.